Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Goes to netural after 20mph. 2003 Mazda 3. And I tried

Goes to netural after 20mph...

Goes to netural after 20mph JA: What is the model/year of your Mazda? Customer: 2003 Mazda 3 JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far? Customer: Yes and I tried replacing all the solenoids still get the same issue JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you? Customer: Nope

Have a 2003 Mazda 3 automatic trans car will run to 20 mph then kick to netural only after slowing back to 20 will it go back to gear but only till you cross 20 then netural again . So then I replaced all the solenoids new fluid same thing also mom said when this happened she heard a noice like a grind noise but found only small shavings in pan so help

11/20/2017
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

It revs up like it's in neutral because power isn't being transmitted to the geartrain when this shift is happening. This is either being caused by a clutch or geartrain issue. If it were a clutch issue then it should have been progressive and you should have noted the fluid was burnt. The fact that it happened suddenly and there was a noise points to geartrain failure. If you found some metal but not a large amount or large pieces then it's likely a broken shaft or stripped splines. The trans would need to be disassembled to determine exactly what has failed.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician