Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2010 Ram 1500 with 5.7L. Started getting a cylinder #3

2010 Ram 1500 with...

2010 Ram 1500 with 5.7L. Started getting a cylinder #3 misfire under heavy acceleration. I swapped coil packs around and replaced both spark plugs in that cylinder and cleared the code. The code returned a week later after accelerating hard

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?

Original transmission 148k miles. oil levels are good. Not checked fuel filter

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I will if I can, most everything I've read leads to a lifter issue

11/19/2017
Mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

With what you just said, you narrowed it down to these posibilites.

Fuel injector

valve spring broken

cylinder exhaust or intake valve broken

fuel injector wiring

igniton coil wiring

head gasket

PCM

Now with that said, based on how you said it does it under heavy acceleration, I think we can look into the following...

Fuel injector

injector wiring

PCM

The next step you can do is swap the injector to another position as you did with coil packs and let me know how it goes after, I am assuming the misfire will change location if it is indeed bad injector. Let me know if this helps :).

I have never removed an injector before, if its not too difficult I'll give it a try. I have a Diablo tuner I have been using I tried reflashing it back to stock but still has the same issue. Would the tuner flash capability eliminate the PCM as the problem?

Not quite, but lets really focus on this fuel injector, I think that is where the problem lies, Would you like for me to try to find a procedure?

Here is the procedure if you were going to make an attempt at it.

Those links appear to be for a different engine. Are the steps the same for my 5.7L?
Let me double check it
I've gotten to the injectors, just trying to get them off the fuel rail.. I dont want to break anything. Any suggestions? do they just pull straight out?
wrong diagram please disregard it only shows 3.7 available to me. Yes you pry off slowly not damaging the injector seals and make sure the seals are in place of every injector if you have loosen the injector rail bolts you should be ok to pry slowly upwards
Send me a picture of the injector rail if for some reason it gives you trouble
the rail is out, just having a problem getting the injector off the rail.
Do you see the retaining clip at the top?
looks like two metal tabs.
I guess I dont know how unlock the clip
Ok the clip has to come off with a pair of pliers if possible try different pairs of pliers you have or if you can fit a flat head to pry the metal clip off as well just be careful not to lose the clip. Also do not let anything fall in the exposed holes
Mike, Auto Mechanic
Ok. Got the injector swapped over, Got up to speed and threw the cylinder 5 code. Good call, thank you.

Great news :)! Glad you figured out the problem.

Hello. I got out this morning and purchased a new fuel injector. replaced it in the cylinder 5 spot, because that where I swapped the faulty cyl #3 to. Cleared all the codes with my tuner and took for a test drive. As soon as the RPMs got over 3k boom the code came back as cylender #3 misfire.Aslo, when the code comes up, the truck goes in to limp mode and shutters. I can hear a louder fast tick when this happens. What now?

That is crazy how it did misfire at the cylinder 5 after swapping the injectors. It can be one of two things, the cyl 3 injector is now fault as well. if it is, could be coicindence or fuel injectors shorting out on that spot due to wiring harness. if the problem continues after swapping the injector again, then it is possible that it could be mechanical engine issue inside such as broken valve spring or valve.

or even lifter

It seems mechanical after the misfire happens, over 3k rpm. Driving normally it runs fine. Also when you shut the truck off it goes back to normal and the check engine light is gone. Only when you heavy throttle over 3k RPM the light comes on and misfires until you shut off the truck. If that helps any

If it is mechanical, then it would be considered the early stage of a mechanical failure since it only does it above 3k RPM. You can still check the compression and check a known good cylinder, but it may not show that is low since it requires high revelotion. The next part if you really want to verify if it is mechanical is take the valve cover off and inspect the valve and valve spring and lifter on that cylinder

What kind of cost are we talking for a broken spring or valve? How hard is it to get to? I can also hear a tick or clicking sound when I punch it from a stop or low speed.

Labor is around 6 hours plus parts, maybe around 900.00. Depends where you live.

Should I try swapping the injectors again or just check the valve spring?

I would try to swap one more time since you have it down pretty good already.

I swap the injectors back and still have a cylinder three misfire. Buying this truck is been the biggest waste of money ever
If it were a spring or a valve wouldn’t this misfire all the time not just under a heavy load?
Usually yes, that’s why if you hear noise I’m thinking if it is mechanical then it must be at the early stage of it becoming an issue. Reason why I wanted you to try to swap the injector again
what now? Check valve springs?
That’s pretty much all that is left to check unfortunately. Valve spring, valve, lifter. Would like to see what compression is to see if it below specs. Let me back track. We moved spark plug,coil and injector away from cylinder 3 and still have the same misfire. We know it has pulse and spark because it ru s just fine until a certain RPM. We hear a tapping noise when it does misfire. With the best proffecsional opinion I can offer, we would have to take a look at the valve,valve spring and lifter.
That's correct. I can hear the tick/click noise even from a stop under heavy acceleration before I get the misfire
Once the misfire happens the truck shutters and vibrates until I pull over and restart the engine. Upon restart drives normally under typical driving conditions. On another note once the oil temp is up around 160 degrees or more my oil pressure is as low as 20 PSI. I've read the oil PSI shouldn't be below 31P I. Do you think that is related?
Your slightly below specs which min shows to be 25 psi at idle which could be related regarding a lifter issue
What does the lifter replacement repair run? still in the $900 range?

It might be slightly more or around the same, labor guide only shows me when replacing all, which is 8.2 labor time