Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I replaced the transmission fluid, coolant, and inverted…

I replaced the transmission fluid...
I replaced the transmission fluid, coolant, and inverted coolant today on my 2010 Prius. Now I receive the following OBDII Code every 2 minutes while the car is running.
P0C73
This is also a permanent code.
I believe it was due to low inverter fluid when I test drive it but now it keeps coming back every 2 minutes.
I’ve tried to reset it multiple times but it keeps coming back.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
11/19/2017
camerontech
camerontech, Auto Mechanic

hi there

im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech

it sounds like you have an air pocket in your inverted cooling system

the system will need to be bled.

this requires a compatible scan tool to activate the bleed system function

cam

Cameron,Thanks for the quick response. Here's the instructions I followed:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsvZVVEveygWhat's the difference between that and bleeding it?
I've reset the code multiple times while the car is running. It goes into regular hybrid mode, but after 2 minutes and 20 seconds, the code pops up again.

the way he is doing in the video is a key cycle to activate the pump. if there is a airpocket stuck in the motor, the computer will notice this as the pump speed is to quick.

the scan tool will activate the pump fully and this will burp any air stuck in the system. I have had to install a vacuum pump on the cap and suck the system into a vacuum to get the air pocket out

you will see the pump speed fast if there is air stuck and the computer notices it too.
yours sounds like it is being stuborn

I don't own a vacuum pump. If I re-did this, would that solve it?

i was actually going to just sugest that.

drain and catch the coolant and refill the system again. make sure air bubbles have stopped before switching system on.

make sure your pump is cycling too as these are known for going too, but yours should be fine as you have only swapped the coolant

34;make sure your pump is cycling too" I believe it was as it sucked some of the level down after I put it in ready mode.I'll go try this again. I'll respond here when I'm done.Any idea how to get rid of that permanent code?
How long do you recommend waiting for the "air bubbles to quit?" Do you think that was my issue? I didn't wait long enough?

this will have to be reset with diagnostic scan too as it is a hard code.

thats good that your pump cycled..

id wait 5 mins before ready mode

also......

i wanted to point one thing out with these

make sure your auxillariary battery is above 12volts as it will not work and activate if this is below the required voltage

also make sure you keep cycling the pump untill the level has finished dropping to eliminate all air out of the system

Alright, I'm going to go drain it.I have a Actron CP9575. This doesn't seem to clear the permanent code. Do I need something else, or will the permanent code go away eventually?

id pop by a larger parts store and have them scan and reset it. most will do it for free.
it requires one drive cycle to store that code but quite a few drive cycles untill it resets. at least a couple of days depending on your driving amount

I just pulled the plug and drained it all out. I'm going to let it sit a bit to make sure.I did notice a bit of a difference in this drain vs my first drain. In the video - do you see how it drains, then slows, then drains again? This drain just drained - no slow. Is that normal?The reservoir tank is empty btw.

it will depend on if you have the cap on of not when draining. i wouldnt be too concerned on how it drains

Okay, I had the cap off when I drained. I'm letting it sit a bit just to be sure everything is out. I'm going to fill in about five minutes.

good stuff. cycle the system a little more than you did untill the coolant level levels out and does not drop when doing so.
then the code will have to be reset after this as the computer will notice the pump speed if any air is in the system

Just to be sure before I start to fill. Put the plug back in right? I read that some put water in it and leave the plug open.

yes, i woudnt fill without the plug in as its the pump that will flush air out

I just filled it. I'm timing it. It's been about 3 minutes and the level hasn't fallen yet. I haven't seen any bubbles either.

theres usually a few, but the pump will do most of the work.

you can try the loose drain plug to get things moving a bit but this usually ends up making a mess and you lossing a coolant

I'll try to loosen the drain plug a bit. I'll let you know if I see any bubbles then.
I loosened the drain plug and had my wife check for bubbles. No bubbles - it just drained to about how much I let drain out of the plug.(You were right, messier to try to hold that plug in place and just let a little out)What now?
I forgot to add - I filled the reservoir back to the full level.

k, do the system cycle (like in the video) and keep repeating untill level stops dropping. after this and once the air is out, the code will need to be reset

Okay. I'll go do that now. Do you know what would cause that air bubble to be present in the system after the first time I did this?

unfortunatly no.

air pockets in all systems is a daily struggle for techs lol

i know some of the older ones have a bleed valve in them but i think that is only up to 2008. just make sure there is no bleeder valve so were not chasing our tails

I didn't see a bleeder valve.I just refilled it and did about 8 system cycles until the level stayed constant. I'm letting it run to see if it pulls the code again.
I took it for a test drive, and I can't pull the code again. I think it's fixed!

good stuff!!

please take a moment to rate me and i am always available for folow ups if need me

thanks and i appreciate positive ratings!

cam

camerontech
camerontech, Auto Mechanic