Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

OIL CHANGE FREQUENCY - PLEASE give me your reasoning along

with your answer. I have...
OIL CHANGE FREQUENCY - PLEASE give me your reasoning along with your answer. I have a 2005 Range Rover with 70,000 miles on it. The manufacturer suggests using full synthetic 5w-50 Castrol Edge oil and a new filter every 15,000 miles. That, to me is CRAZY and I have never followed it. The very longest I ever let it go is 7,000 miles. In the past several years I have done oil and filter every 4,000 miles and feel comfortable with that. However, with the price of oil skyrocketing I don't want to throw my money away. My question is this:If I wish to be VERY safe and change oil in the frequency that is best for my engine. I do not want to overdo it and perhaps every 4,000 miles really is wasting my money, BUT 4,000 miles might be what you suggest. My driving is 85% city under 40 miles per hour. I would, as if you had not guessed, rather err on the side of safety and change it too often rather than on the other side. Engine job would end the car's life for me, so I must be proactive on the maintenance. My Range Rover has a BMW engine stock and that is why I chose this categtory. I can answer any clarification questions you might have for me. THANKS!!
11/18/2017
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

Yes that is the wave the manufacturers are following to tout their reduced maintenance costs. IMO the cheapest insurance you can have is frequent oil changes. The days of 3000 mile changes are long gone, if you are using synthetic oil and a QUALITY oil filter 10,000 is reasonable with frequent level checks. Any longer is false economy (certainly with LR's track record with engines) so 10K is a reasonable compromise that will get the acids out of the crankcase and provide fresh lubricant to the bearings.

!0K is a very safe compromise but how long does that take to roll up with your normal usage?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
1.We probably would take at least 6 to 9 months to rack up 10k.
2.Regarding filter, I have always used OEM parts. I have none left, but do have a new KN filter. Your thoughts on KN brand? I want to order more oil filters now from Amazon. If it were your vehicle what brand would you choose.
3. To sum up, if I choose 7,000, in your opinion that is a BIT overkill, but certainly very good for the engine, just bad for the wallet. Are we in agreement on that George?

That is a reasonable time with synthetic oil and IMO the factory filter is the best. They count on it for 15K so 7K should be fine. IMO KN has done a super job of marketing their filters but are no better (or worse) in lab testing. I would use the factory and buy a few at a time to reduce trips to the dealer or get them online if you can.

Yes I think 7K is a bit fast but I also have a '93 Mazda truck that I don't drive much and it gets 3K oil changes. Currently 262K on the meter. You will be fine if you keep to the 7K with synthetic and OEM filters.

Please let me know if you have further questions, if nothing further please complete the rating

Thanks

George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thanks George!! What brand of filter do you buy for yourself?? 5 stars coming now.

I use pure 1 but that changes as manufacturer's change the filter design. A metal core with a silicone drainback valve along with plenty of pleats in the filter material and >95.6% filtration are some of the baselines I want to see. Fram at one time met these, they no longer do but Pure1 currently does. WIX has had some pretty good filters in the past, now they are middle of the road.

You can't go wrong with the OEM filters, they have a set specification that their supplier needs to meet.

George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician