Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My Range Rover HSE Lux is a gearbox fault intermittently. It…

Customer Question
My Range Rover HSE...

My Range Rover HSE Lux is a gearbox fault intermittently. It has now happened again with the car having no power and cannot accelerate, 2000rpm and about 100km per hour.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

My Range Rover sport HSE Lux has been giving a gearbox fault intermittently, when it happens there is no acceleration and car limited to about 100km/hour at about 2000 rpm. Today it happened again. If I stop and switch off the engine an restart "gearbox" fault goes away but car does not have normal power. Today after this fault the orange engine warning lamp came on with the orange gearbox fault.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Range Rover?

My Range Rover sport HSE has given a gearbox orange warning lamp fault twice and the gearbox lacks power and car limited to about 100km per hour and around 2000rpm. Once you stop, switch off and restart the car the problem goes, till the next time. Today this occurred, switched off and restarted and could drive but car does not respond with power. The orange engine warning light then came on with the gearbox fault warning.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Range Rover yourself? What have you tried so far?

No not fixing myself. Have felt a backlash in the gear change when the gearbox changes down

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing else

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Car
Year 2010
11/19/2017
Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

It sounds as if your transmission is going into limp in. When the trans controller sees a failure that will prevent proper operation it will set fault codes and lock you in a single gear to prevent damage.

There are many possible causes for limp in including speed sensors, the range sensor, solenoids, wiring, the trans controller itself and internal transmission issues.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a code reader or scan tool to see what fault codes are set and then testing can be one from there based on the findings.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thanks for this, but the second time within about 15 kilometers of driving why would the engine orange warning lamp come on with the gearbox fault warning lamp?
Stopped the car, switched engine off, gerarbox lamp off but engine lamp remains on?

The warning lights are coming on because a failure has been seen and fault codes are setting.