Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2005 Jeep Liberty KJ ABS fault. Dealer read DTCs, Rear ABS

2005 Jeep Liberty KJ ABS...
2005 Jeep Liberty KJ ABS fault
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? And have the brakes been squeaking?
Customer: yes, dealer read DTCs, Rear ABS sensor on diff fault.
JA: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have replaced the ABS / speed sensor on the diff myself. Have replaced the connector and spliced onto the end of the old loom. Have measured 11 to 13V at rear abs connector
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess there is either a fault with a) the ABD control module under the hood b) the mechanical indexer in the differential or c) intermittent wiring problem. Have no OBD II device myself which can read enhanced codes (e.g. ABS). what do you suggest.
11/18/2017
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great.

Do you have access to a multimeter that we can use for some voltage tests?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
standard multimeter

Okay great. We can test the output at the abs sensor to eliminate the sensor and the differential indexer as issues.

It is a AC signal that is sent out from the sensor. So what you need to do is block the front wheels, put the vehicle in neutral, lift the rear wheels. Then unplug the ABS sensor and set your meter to AC voltage and install the leads into the sensor and spin the wheels, you will see a fluctuating AC voltage. If there is a voltage reading that means the problem is either the module or the wiring. If there is NO signal then the problem is most likely in the diff

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok, what sort of ac voltage can I expect from the unpowered sensor when directly connected to a multimeter or scope?

Usually it will fluctuate between 1-1.5V

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok, will try and get back to you. Many thanks.

Not a problem, let me know what you find :)

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician