Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Check engine light is on. Just bought it used and looking

for answers before we head...
check engine light is on. Just bought it used and looking for answers before we head to the mechanic
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2005 golf
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: uh, no. I am definitely not a mechanic. just trying to sort it out.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the seat belt warning goes for about 10 minutes when we first start to dive the car then goes off. even with the belt being worn
11/18/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

First, the check engine light can come on for over 500 reasons. If the car is running normally, then it's usually a problem with the evap emissions system. This can be as simple as a loose fuel cap, so check that first. If the cap is good, then you will need to get the codes. Most parts stores will do this for you at no charge. The code will start with a P, P0455 for example. If you would like to get the code and let me know, I am sure I can give you a much better idea of what is going on.

As for the seat belt, this is likely a bad contact in the seatbelt latch assembly and is not a huge concern to be honest. The check engine light is far more important.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thanks Mike. We'll take it to a parts store and check the code after securing the fuel cap to make sure. I know the seat belt thing is not a major deal, just a bit annoying

It might be possible to simply spray some electrical cleaner into the latch and have it solve the problem. That's what I would try first. Probably just a dirty connection in there to be honest.

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician