Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Heating and cooling seats not working. What does that have

Heating and cooling seats not...
Heating and cooling seats not working
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: What does that have to do with my seats?
JA: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?
Customer: 2008 navigatir
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Checked fuses
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
11/18/2017
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Is it both seats that are not working, or is it just one?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Hi Todd. Driver seat only.

Thank you. Also, is the seat back, the seat cushion or both that are not functioning?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Both. When I push either the heat or cool button. The lights flash, but it doesn’t turn on

I understand. The issue that you are having can either be due to a faulty seat module, or a faulty connection. Since the passenger seat is functioning, this means that the fuses are all intact, as they run off the same fuse. Here, I am attaching the electrical diagram for the circuits, to give you a better understanding. I am suspecting that the module maybe the issue. Give me just a moment, please, in order to check for testing information. Although, you will need to test the connection to the seat module to be sure they are secure and also test the wiring for the drivers seat. Also, having the vehicle scanned for codes will direct you towards the problematic area and may save time. Give me just a moment, while I gather information for you.

.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok thanks

You first action should be to have the vehicle scanned for codes, in order to determine the area of concern. Here, I am attaching the description of operation along with the testing information that requires a scan tool.

Here, I am attaching pinpoint test for the condition the you are experiencing. This testing will help you determine the cause. Whether the seat control module or the HVAC control head is the cause. Also attached is code specific information for the system. Although, the vehicle will need to be scanned for codes so that the proper testing can be conducted.

To determine the cause of your issue, the testing will need to be done. Also, the highlighted wires in the diagram would be the general areas that requires inspection. Here, I am attaching the connector view of the seat control module to assist in testing. You will want to test the drivers seat cushion feed and the drivers seat back feed as well as the violet and brown wire that control the fans.

If you need me, I'm here.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
You are very knowledge and sent me lots of info in this, and quickly. Unfortunately for me, I’m not able to decider these diagrams and perform the needed tests. I will have to bring my vehicle in to a mechanic to have it scanned for a code which you suggested and what I was trying to avoid. Thanks anyway for your help.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Knowledgeable* decipher*

No problem. With issues like this, you can not avoid the scanner or else you will be guess working. After the vehicle is scanned, then you can go about testing and repairing the issue. Although, before taking the vehicle in, try following this TSB, as this seems to be a common issue. Start from step 3 and remove the fuse for 2 minutes, then reinstall the fuse and see what happens.

The fuse is number 8 in the under hood fuse box.

.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician