Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Power steering fluid is bubbling out of the power steering

holding tank. N12 volvo truck...
power steering fluid is bubbling out of the power steering holding tank. N12 volvo truck. What would be causing this?
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: last checked today. yes I hear a whining noise.
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: 1986 N12
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes trying to. Replaced rubber hose as I thought it was sucking air.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
11/18/2017
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

When engine is not running is the level overfull? If not then check the reservoir filter screen to see if it is clogged with debris and remove and clean or replace reservoir if it is clogged. If the screen is clogged it will not allow enough fluid to get to pump and returned fluid will overflow tank reservoir.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hi Jay we have done all of that and it is not overfull.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Something is aerating the fluid

I do not have any other ideas that would cause this condition with this vehicle and will opt out for another expert in your time zone that can better serve you.

Did you check the reservoir screen? If screen is blocked it will starve the pump for fluid and limit flow of fluid to pump. Disconnect reservoir and empty it and see if filter metal screen inside tank is clogged?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
there is no screen in tank it has a filter which i have changed and its still the same

Have you replaced the PS pump?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
you were told at start all filters and tank had been checked

I am opting out since this is a heavy truck and have no information on the truck since it is only in Australia. I thought I could help you but apparently not.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
n12 volvo trucks were sold in america the same as here
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am going to jump in and help you out with this.

So since you have inspected the tank and all the lines then it seems to me we have an internal failure somewhere. Most likely an internal pump seal, or it is leaking/sucking in air at the steering gear box.

I have never seen a Volvo have this particular issue, but I have seen it on a few Kenworth HD trucks before, and each time it was sucking in air right by the steering shaft and pushing it to the pump which would then aerate the whole system.

I would advise inspecting the steering gear seals as well as the pump input/output tubes. We want to make sure there are no small tears on any of the sealing surfaces

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to reply Grabiel, with help from an elderly Volvo mechanic (who worked on N12s when they were new) we have solved the problem. He said it was a very rare problem.

You are very welcome! What did you end up finding with it?

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

You are welcome. Glad we could help.

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician