Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Can a timing belt be put under stress if the factory alarm…

Can a timing belt be...
Can a timing belt be put under stress if the factory alarm shutdown is engaged while driving?
11/18/2017
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Hello there,

Short answer, no.

All cars cut fuel on coasting throttle, so a shutdiwn interruption is no different.

Running out of fuel is also another scenario.

Gary

The car was being moved when alarm shutdown engaged. It was cranked several times after that & would not start. It was then pushed to a parking spot while parking break was engaged maybe even in gear. Could that put pressure on the timing belt
It's been diagnosed with a broken timing belt I'm trying to find out why

Sounds like a broken timing belt IS the cause of the shutdown.

Quite common for many makes of engines.

Pushing cars around in gear does not cause belt failure.

Belt replacement history on this engine?

Gary

No replacement known it is high mileage (170,000)
you're telling me it's just wear & tear?

If you have no belt replacement history, and so you don't know the age or mileae of the belt, then that it why it has ultimately failed.

All timing belts have a service life, they need to be replaced at regular intervals to prevent failure.

Belt failure generally ends up in bent valves in the cylinder head.

So in your case, the belt failure has shut down the engine, not immobilizer or alarm system.

Sorry to give you bad news here, but just agreeing with your shop diagnosis of belt failure.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician