Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

My optima 2012 hybrid has two messages on the dashboard

Hi JA: Hi. How can I...
Hi
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: my optima 2012 hybrid has two messages on the dashboard first says hybrid warning and the second says check brake and the brake is grinding when I press brake
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: from outside, it is the sound of the ABS when it grind usually should do that sound when it works in ice road
JA: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I took it to the local dealers of Kia in my city but each one of them says something different from the other the first one says it is the hybrid unit and need to be replaced
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: and the other one says is the module with the part number # 58620-4U001
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
attached are the two parts that the second kia dealer said that need to be replaced, the module with the greasy photo is very near from the ABS while the other one is underneath the transmission stick , the second dealer says that the costs of these two parts are $2000 for the module and $600 for the small one, and his labor fees will is $1500, so to make the job it will be around $3500 total, while the first dealer says is the hybrid unit need to be replaced and it will cost $2700 with labor fees, my question is that, whether these parts if I buy them by myself and install them does need to be programmed for my car?
11/18/2017
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

What you've given the part number for is the ABS hydraulic control unit, the part in the picture is the yaw sensor. You could physically replace either of these parts but the vehicle wouldn't be operable afterward until some scan tool procedures are done. The yaw sensor and ABS module do require programming procedures with a scan tool, and after the ABS HCU is replaced it requires a scan tool bleed procedure before the vehicle can be driven.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thanks for your answer, then my conclusion is that you don’t think it is the hybrid battery needs to be replaced?My second question, is it possible that any auto repair shop can do the scan tool bleed? Or only Kia dealer can do it?
Also I’m asking whether it is possible to replace it with used yaw and ABS parts? Or should brand new one??

I'd have to know what fault codes are setting in order to be able to give possible causes for the warning lights.

Any shop with the proper equipment will be able to do the bleeding but not all shops will have a scan tool capable, you'd need to ask a specific shp if they're able to do it if you want to try an independent shop.

A used yaw sensor could be installed. A new ABS module would be required, but a used HCU by itself could be installed.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
These are the codes:
Hybrid braking system fault 2. 00 active hydraulic booster assembly has lost communication DTC U0129 stored, and C1800 – CAN time out AHB stored.
Also The main AHB fuse was blown and replaced .
2056 CEXI

These do most likely point to a bad HCU.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
What is the HCU?
Where is located?

The part that you gave the part number for in your first post which you said they recommended replacing. It's in the engine compartment toward the left side.

https://www.kiapartsnow.com/genuine/kia-hydraulic-unit~586204u001.html

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Hi,I forgot to post these codes that the third auto care diagnosed my car
C1203
C1208
C282
C1800

I'm a full time tech and at work this morning, I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thank you very much!

C1203 is for the right front wheel speed sensor and is most likely the sensor but could be wiring. C1208 is for the left rear speed sensor.

C1282 is for the yaw sensor and C1800 is a bus communication issue with the hydraulic control unit.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
What is the type of scan tools that I can ask an auto care whether he has so that I make sure he’ll fix it

You'll need to ask them if they have a scan tool able to do the programming procedures for these parts.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician