Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

No spark at plugs but it cranks. 2005 Jeep Liberty 6 3.7.

No spark at plugs but...
No spark at plugs but it cranks
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2005 Jeep Liberty 6 3.7
JA: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, checked codes had oil psi replaced unit removed and reinstalled crank sensor checked all fuses ans relays and fuel
JA: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?
Customer: dont have psi tester for fuel yet but one on order but did check the test port for psi with drive an have flow during eng durn and after but don't know if meets min
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
jeep was going down road as reported by my daughter all good then started puttering and died as if starved for fuel tried to start it, it cranked and almost started but battery died, checked it at stores and replaced with new one, tried again and same issue had it towed to my home and checked oil found low 2 quarts filled up found code as oil psi, replaced psi sensor, placed on order crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor as none in my town. also placed on order a psi fuel checker as none in town but did check to see if it was getting fuel by opening check port fuel shot out when cranking, a compression checker wad ordered but not checked yet. also order a ASD relay as i pulled it and looked ok and seams to work? i check all fuses with tester all seam to work ok. checked spark plugs with tester it lights one time at start of crank but never again
11/18/2017
Michael Solis

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

The next step I want you to check is if it has injection pulse or not, it plays an important roll as well for it can be the auto shut down relay if it lacks injection pulse

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I have a new set of injectors I tried one as I do not want to remove parts until I find the underlining problem but when I check the one new one it operated the same one spark and then nothing during the cranking

Ok, are you saying the pusle stopped as well as spark since you heard the injector stop?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Sorry I was incorrect I was referring to coils not injectors I will need to get node light I will see if our local Napa has one

That would be the best option :). If not, you can always use a test light, but that does get more complicated to explain how to do it.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I will hit you up after I get one

Sounds good :)

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Ok I live on kodiak island ak only 2part stores they did not have node test kit but I was able to use a light test unit on all of the units/fuel injectors and all worked pulse on off on off each good. I then did the same to each of the ignition coil electric plugs and found that only the center ones on each side was getting a pulse so I hooked up a spark tester and the same results only the two center plug were firing and get in put?
Ok so injection pulse is good. Now, what are the voltage reading of each pin of the ignition coil on the ones that are working and on the ones that are not. You will need a voltmeter for this.

Key on engine off when testing the wires please.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Ok worked
Volt/m dc start check and worked down until I got reading on the 2. Scale front left and right at .042 and.051 center left and right at.046 and .055 and aft at left .042 rift at .048

ok that does not seem accurate at all

key on engine off the center one should have 12 volts on the RD/OR wire

I also want to know what the known BAD COIL circuit reads to see if it also reads 12volts on the RD/OR wire

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Just rechecked make sure on dc and got no good reading on 2. Scale for any of the no fire plugs but did get reading for them on 200 m scale at 15.9 and on the good plugs reading on. 2. Scale was 15.9 each side

Are you putting the black lead to ground and the positive lead to each wire? the RD/OR wire shows 15? What about the other wire, does it have any voltage on the known good coil. Take a peek at this diagram and tell me which coil wires are the good coils based on the color wires. There is two wires per ignition coil, I need both wire readings. 15.9 does not seem accurate either. Put both leads on the battery it should show the same as what the battery is.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Ok Black lead to a ground I used the mount to the altantor/ red prob to each wire on the units set on volts doc 200 m scale right side front red line 2.5 yellow line .5 center good fire spark red line 2.5 yellow line .4 aft line red 2.9 yellow line .4 same reading other side
Key in on position not cranking I also tried using the black to battery ground and got red line 7.9 yellow line 1.1 on all positions

I think your reading the wrong volts. put both positive and negative leads to your battery, and adjust the volt switch until it tells you that the battery is around 12volts

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
The firing plugs should be number 3 & 4 but the colors drivers side center is sold blue and passagers side is blue with red stripe but one behind it also has same color?
What is the unit that controls the volts going to the coil? Cam/Crank sensor? Or the PCM/ECM

there is two, the red yellow wire is controlled by the auto shut down relay and fuse 8. the other wire is individually controlled by the PCM

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I just went a got a new meter at the store also set at 200m to get reading key on black to ground almost all readings same front drivers side red wire 8.1 yellow 1. Center red drivers side 8.0 blue 1. Aft drivers side red 7.9 blue 1. Redid about the same on passagers side ?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I have ordered a new ASD relay but won't see it until Monday/Tuesday best and crank/cam sensor same issue as none in town. Form info provided can a ASD be bypassed for a test? Start or volt check?

It can, but we need to properly read the voltages on each wire of the coils. I do not see that will be the problem since you stated two of the coils are actually working. Im leaning more towards the PCM being bad, but I need accurate voltage readings to determine that.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I re checked each and when with doc set at 20 and not just turning eng on but cranking it over and checking I got front driver side red 10.1 other line 0 center driver side red 11.2 other 0 rear drivers side red 10.2 other 0 almost same on other side is that more along the line of what it should be? As on last test I only had eng on but was not turning it over.
Ok we can safely say the shut down relay is activating its circuit and no problem there. Now we need to test the ground circuit. Put your test light to power and let’s begin checking the other wires that showed 0. Crank the engine and see if the test light flashes on and off on each coil
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I wish to make sure that the alogator clip on the test light hooked to the positive bus on the battery and point of the test light on each line on the wire going to the coil that reads 0 from last test?
Correct
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Ok drivers Sid front coil light up one time out o 5 try's the center the same the aft 4 time out of 5 as for the passagers side never light up at all one any of them
How many total coils did not light up at all and how many total coils light up?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
3 lighted up at least one time and 3 did not light up at all
The three that lit up do they still continue to light up while cranking? The ones that did not light up all are located on the passenger side?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
The three that light up only do so when cranking with power on and not cranking none light up and the ones that did not light up at all are on the passengers side
Ok so the next step is to find out why all on one bank has no ground on the coils. Either be cam sensor or pcm issue let me do some more digging and I’ll get back to you
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Roger I do have cam and crank on order when they come in I will install and get back to you on it

Ok sounds good let me know how it goes. It is leaning to the PCM as to being the problem, but we can do some more procedures if the cam/crank replacement does not work

If you have a chance, please leave me a rating so I can receive credit for the question, would mean so much to me :). We can still continue after rating.

Michael Solis
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Michael,
i just got back into town and have cam/crankshaft sensors along with fuel tester and compression tester kit. replaced both cam/crankshaft sensors completed a psi check on fuel system found it holding around 60psi and compression on All cylinders around 100 psi cold as I can not run eng yet. rechecked wires to ignition red hot with key in and other as before sporadic turning. do you think next step should the PCM/ECM replacement ?

I have answered quite a bit of questions since I have last seen you. I will need to back track and review this question again & get back to you shortly after. Should be sometime this afternoon

Does the check engine light come on?

Do you have 5 volts on the tps disconnected key on engine off? Check every pin of the connector and see if you get 5 v

Customer reply replied 7 days ago
check eng light is on,
on the tops plug i get 5.1 volts on the red wire the middle wire .01 and the far end wire red/blue 3.6 volts
i have removed the pcm/ecm got model # ordered a new one plug and play ready then reinstalled the ppm/ecm.

Does the check engine light come on? key on engine off?

Customer reply replied 7 days ago
key on eng off
three light on seat belt/oil light/ check eng but after 30 seconds the check eng light starts flashing

whats the codes?

Customer reply replied 7 days ago
found 508 code it's for idea sensor it was not locked down from when i was testing on the TPS a few minutes ago so locked it down cleared all codes rechecked got no codes as system has the word (donE) just as i spelled it and the 3 lights operated the same as prior but one thing i noted is every 30 sec or so a flash of a code seems to display but its so rapid and fast as i can not make out an #and it still displays (donE)

ok appears to be the PCM with the coil issues

Customer reply replied 7 days ago
Ok, i have one i ordered today when it get in i will install and let you know what's up
Darrin

ok sounds good

Michael Solis
Michael Solis
Michael Solis