Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I am wondering where exactly the camshaft position is in my

2009 Hyundai Sonata. JA: Are you...
I am wondering where exactly the camshaft position is in my 2009 Hyundai Sonata.
JA: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I already bought the part and am going to replace it but don’t know where it’s located under the hood
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That’s all I need to fix it. I received a code today and that’s what was wrong it
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: It was p0643 I believe. I have the paperwork in the car. It was camshaft position sensor
11/18/2017
nelson freitas

Hello, and thanks for using JustAnswer, my name Nelson and I have been an Automotive Technician for over 12 years.

what size engine is in your sonata?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
2.4 l
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
It’s 2.4 l and a 2009 Hyundai Sonata.

Here is a picture of the camshaft position sensor locations. There are 2 one for each camshaft. I will find out which one correlates with that code.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I didn’t receive a picture.

sorry here it is

also, that code P0643 is related to the accelerator position sensor, which is attached to the gas pedal.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I wasn’t sure if that was the exact code hold on just a second I will send it again with the right code. It’s 1 sensor as well I remember that. Can you explain what side of the engine that sensor is on
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
P0365
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
That’s the correct code

that code is for the exhaust camshaft sensor

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Is that not the same from the picture you sent me.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Sensor b circuit 1
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I know how to replace it just don’t know where it’s located in this car. I’ve never had to make repairs on this car. Have replaced in other vehicles

unfortunately I can find a lot of diagnostic information about the code and the sensor but not much more about replacing it.

I am going to assume it should be pretty straight forward with a connector and 1 bolt holding it in place

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
the changing it out part is easy. Just not sure of location in the engine of this part

it is sensor #2 in the picture that i sent you

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
number two is the location of the replacement ?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
that’s in the back of the engine correct. Not the front? So facing forward the back right?

yes thats correct

nelson freitas
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok great. Thanks for the picture. I hope it’s as easy to locate in the morning
nelson freitas
nelson freitas
nelson freitas