Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have a power steering leek it looks like it's the line

I have a power steering...
I have a power steering leek it looks like it's the line that goes from the reservoir to the pump?
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: Yes it's making a noise at the starting and when stering it could be the filter also no?
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2003 Land Rover Discovery
JA: Are you fixing your Discovery yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: well the problem is I just had an operation and can't do it yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
11/17/2017
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

What kind of answer are you looking for? It seems you have already identified the leak origin.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I need to figure out the cost I have just been let off So from my work what I can tell the power fluid line going into the pump is leaking , it also makes noise when starting the engine and turning I would at least like to know who in Kelowna would fix this with out telling me it's going to take half a day?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Well I can't right this minute I am not by my car am I able to text you to call me when ready?

If the pump is making a whine noise then this may be from a pump that is going bad or the fact it is low on fluid from the leak. I would try a new line and new fluid first off. If the noise remains then a new pump is needed.

The pressure hose is 160$ 3.8 hours of labor

The pump is 350$ 2.0 hours of labor

Either of both of these repairs would take close to a half day to correct.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Would going to Land Rover in Kelowna be a good move? or get the parts from Lordco or Napa for the parts, what is the average labor rate?

Labor rate will be around 80-105$ an hour. OEM parts are always going to be better and they come with a much better warranty but aftermarket will work.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician