Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

How can I check Odometer resent done by previous owner? Car…

Customer Question
How can I check Odometer...
How can I check Odometer resent done by previous owner ?
Car is not maintained with agent and doing service outside, no history.
Any logs stored in ECU ? when odometer Miles\KMs reduced.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2017
Auto Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Are you trying to figure out if instrument cluster was replaced with one from a lower mileage vehicle?

I need to know my car odometer reading changed or not, is there any way in ECU ?

Yes it is stored in the ECU but you will need to have vehicle connected to a capable scantool to see what the original mileage is, a shop should do this for around $50. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Launch scanner will get that info ? any chance its erased ?

I haven't used a launch scanner but I doubt it will work and it is possible the ECU was reprogrammed to a new mileage but I highly doubt it. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Do you know any scanner ?
what reading will show in scanner, its present reading shows in odometer or real reading ?

It will show the real reading assuming ECU hasn't been reprogrammed and usually only high end scantools such as ones used at shops or dealership will work to check mileage, you are probably going to end up having to pay a shop to check for you.

Dan, Technician