Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2006 v6 tribute has squealing noise under acceleration.

2006 v6 tribute has squealing...
2006 v6 tribute has squealing noise under harder acceleration. Replaced belt and tensioner and still there. Removed belt, still there. Replaced manifold o rings and plugs and still there. Sounds like comming from bellow the inlet manifold more like from top of the rear cyl. head.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: It has been on for few month. Power still ok if i accelerate gently no noise. Noise there only under acceleration . Once i ease of it goes away. Comming from rear upper cyl.head are on drivers side
JA: Are you fixing your Tribute yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: As i said before,replaced belt,tensioner, plugs, inlet manifold gaskets. Pcv hoses,. .
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am the mechanic my self and never came accross this. Sounds like slipping belt. But all the ligical stuff was done. Just hope somebody had same experience or there is a common problem with these engines
11/16/2017
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Do you hear the noise right after a cold start, when engine is warmed up or all the time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Noise is there at any temperature and under harder acceleration and above 2000rpm. Once ease of ,goes away

Have you tried to loosen the oil cap when the noise is present? If noise is present and lowers down when oil cap is loosened could be a clogged pcv valve.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But only under load. As i drive. Stationary only if load it to do a stall. Under moderate to hard acceleration.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have replaced all the breather hoses and pcv valve is fine.

I will opt out and let another expert assist you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It sounds like slipping belt on drivers side almost top of the cyl.head
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. The noise is most likely from the rear exhaust manifold gasket. WHen the gasket blows out, or a manifold stud breaks, the exhaust will make a whistling or squealing from the gasket. I recommend checking the rear manifold studs and gasket. Thanks.

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal. The website will ask you for a phone call. Feel no obligation to accept, unless you feel it will help you. We can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return. Be sure to please take a quick moment and rate my assistance by clicking the stars above. Thank you for rating and for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will check the exhaust man.gasket but noise seems to be more like top of the head.
Ok. Depending on condition of engine a camshaft can squeak if it is getting lack of oil
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But squeel is there only on acceleration. If i accelerate more gently ,it will not squeel. But if i load it bit more it will squeel untill i just back of slightly. Head .being aloy would not have lasted so long. It has been thare for at least 2000km.. and prety much no change.
Check the exhaust manifold in rear for blown out gasket or broken stud then let me know. Thanks.
Please take a quick second to rate my assistance with the stars above. And note after rating the chat will still remain open so you can bookmark this page and come back with more questions. Thanks
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok. Visual check looks ok. All the studs and nuts are in place . But to get on to them with a spaner is a bit more involved. Will continue next week .
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Well finaly have solved the problem. Yes it wasbroken studs on both manifolds and front one had a broken flange. Got second hand front ex.manifold.Noise is gone but now i am getting all sorts of lights and codes . ABS, Auto convertor slip. Egr low pressure, oxygen sensors etc. Sò i clear the kodes as some are not related. Like Abs. Thanks for your help. It is not a nice car as i read it has few problems and 14l per 109km is nothing exciting . Thanks for your help. John

I am glad you got it fixed. Check all the wiring near the firewall and check all the fuses inside the car and under the hood for the other lights that are on. Make sure the o2 wiring is not touching the exhaust. Thanks

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician