Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

986 boxster and the interior blower is not working

consistently. More often is...
986 boxster and the interior blower is not working consistently. More often is not working now. Sometimes if I go over a big bump in the road, it will start to spin up. It was really difficult trying to drive in the rain this morning with no fan to blow on the windows.
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Yes
JA: What year is your Boxster?
Customer: 97
JA: Are you fixing your Boxster yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, trying myself. I haven't done anything yet except to search Google.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have replaced the Climate control display since it became difficult to read... about a year ago.
11/16/2017
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is usually caused by a bad spot in the armature of the blower motor, since it will come back on if you hit a bump, have you tried tapping on the blower motor, when its not working and seeing if it comes on?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Tapping on the blower motor did not work. However, I did find a write-up of someone else with the same car, same issue:https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/hvacblowermotorUsing this resource, I was able to remove the blower motor. I checked that the connection to the motor was receiving power (nearly 12V on highest fan setting) with a voltmeter and so was able to eliminate any other possible issues in the climate control system. I took the motor to the workbench and applied 12V from a spare battery and it didn't spin at all. So, I took the motor out of its plastic assembly and pulled back each of the two brushes and let them spring back against the armature. I then put the motor back into its assembly and tried applying power to the motor and it spun up with gusto. I reassembled everything in the opposite order and the fan blower now works great. I'm guessing there was some carbon buildup between the brushes and the armature and popping them broke the carbon layer loose.

thats what I suspected, it may work for awhile, but eventually you will need to replace it,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH