Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I am a classic sports car mechanic and engineer. I replaced

I am a classic sports...
I am a classic sports car mechanic and engineer. I replaced a non electronic rack on a 2008 MB 320 cdi recently. During the repair, the clock spring was damaged accidentally. I replaced it, and a cracked left front wheel speed sensor that had taken some road damage previous to the repair. No DTCs were set before the repair. After the repair, I took the car to a shop that had a newer Matco scanner, and reset the ESP codes. Within a few seconds of driving, the ESP light came back on with the ESP Disabled in the driver section. I drove the car to a MB Dealership to have the DTC tested and corrected. I was told the steering angle sensor was bad and needed replaced. How is it possible that this sensor is affected or bad from this simple repair? Isn't this sensor designed to be a continuous rotation by design? MB wants $600 for the repair, but I just don't see that as the problem. Affected part N49 was one of the codes set before the clock spring was damaged. Also, the car was aligned before the clock spring was replaced.
11/16/2017
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

The clock spring has nothing to do with the steering angle sensor as that is lower on the steering shaft under the dash. The other thing that you can check is if the shop that done the alignment also re-calibrated that steering angle sensor after the alignment was done as they should all be . This is done with hooking up a shop scanner to do so. Do you know if the dealer got a code and what it was ? Because if it says re-calibrate then that would be your issue.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The alignment shop gave a list of codes, all related to the clock spring, such as SRS, wheel speed sensors, and steering wheel controls, telephone communication, etc. Replacing the clock spring removed those codes. I remember however one of the codes was Steering Angle Sensor needed replacement, component N49. I assumed it was from a bad clock spring. I am not at the shop now to give exact MBZ numbers.

i can check your notes tomorrow

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thanks.

Will look for your notes then

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've learned the steering angle sensor for that year model does have a left and right stop, as opposed to the older models that did not. The left-right sensor stop was damaged at the same time the clock spring was damaged when the steering wheel clamp became unsecured. A new sensor will have to be obtained and installed. Thank you for your responses.

Like I stated it was not part of the clock spring. Just wondering why the shop didn't explain all that to you , then you wouldn't have to gone this far? any way good you found the culprit. Remember to have it calibrated when installed and yaw rate. Is there anything else I may do for you?

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. Thank you. I know what's wrong and why. The service advisor didn't know anything, so he connected me with a 20 year MBZ tech who explained the angle sensor reason for failure. I've replaced it and calibrated it myself. All is working.
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician