Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2004 Isuzu rodeo 3.2L V6 2wd Car was running fine then

2004 Isuzu rodeo 3.2L V6...
2004 Isuzu rodeo 3.2L V6 2wd
Car was running fine then suddenly started sputtering while at stop light. Check engine light started flashing. Put car in neutral and sputtering continued but not as bad. Reached home and found that sputtering was worse when car was placed in reverse. Checked fluid levels, oil was half way between "add" and "full" so added some oil. Coolant level was also half way between max and min so added some antifreeze to reservoir. Pulled plug wires and found some oil in the front passenger side. Cleaned and replaced. Checked all six plugs and they were fine. Ran engine and problem still persist. Pulled front passenger plug wire again and no oil was present. Will borrow code reader to check. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
11/14/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Your check engine flashing means the computer system is seeing direct engine misfire and in most cases this is caused due to either a lack of spark to the spark plug and or a bad spark plug. The place to start is to scan the computer system so we can see which cylinder is dropping out. If you can get this done and post back with it, I will help you determine the cause.

Thanks Ron. I won't be able to get the information until later today. 5:30-6:00 pm hawaii time. Can I contact you directly? Thanks Sam

No Problem Sam, I will most likely be here then as well. Post back when you can and we can work from there.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Daniel Wilson
Phone call session started
Hi Ron, scanned the computer and got a P0300 Generic random misfire detected reading. Here's the additional info:
Fuel Sys-1. OL-Fault
Fuel sys-2. OL-Fault
Calc load %. 2
ECT (F-deg). 176
Mapping. 8.9 inHg
Eng RPM. 712All other info was zero, 0.

The fuel system out of limit codes indicate an engine lean condition. This can be caused by either a large engine vacuum leak or a drop in fuel pressure. I would start first with checking to see if there are any loose and or broken vacuum line in and around the intake area as well as running a fuel pressure test to be sure the pressure is where it needs to be. Normal fuel pressure should be 41 to 55 PSI. There is also a recall that may or may not apply depending on your location for the fuel pump. Have a look at it in the link below to see if it applies.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q2hrgy0rkacgdvt/pump%20recall%20Nov%2015.pdf?dl=0

Thanks Ron.
We changed the fuel pump in 2011. I'll check on the other stuff and get back to you.

Okay please do and let me know Sam. Im here if needed.

Hi Ron,
I was able to solve the problem.
The center electrode on one of the plugs was loose. When I held the plug with electrode facing up everything looked fine. However when I faced it down to reinstall it, the center electrode slid down and was resting on the side electrode, resulting in no gap, and causing the misfire. Changed all plugs and car us running fine. Thanks again for your help.
Also, I had requested that an expert call me. However, I never spoke with anyone. There were no messages on my phone either. I mention this because there's a $26 fee for this and I don't want to have to pay for something that did not occur. Thanks Sam

Glad to hear you got it resolved and thank you as well. I will contact customer support and make sure the is no charge for the call.

Thank you Ron. I see that a refund has been issued. Glad the misfire problem was easily resolved. Hopefully won't have problems with car any time soon. However, will definitely request your assistance if I do. Sam

Thank you as well Sam, Im here if ever needed.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician