Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I need to press 2 bearings into an idler pulley on my van.

Customer Question
I've always had trouble "evening"...
I need to press 2 bearings into an idler pulley on my van. I've always had trouble "evening" anything I've had to press from bearings to ball joints.. Is there a trick to getting them "even" before starting to press them in? I just have a manual press.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Car
11/14/2017
Auto Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So with the pressing f the bearings you want to have a bearing press tool set, you will have different diamiater pieces and that will help you get the correct pressure to the bearing your trying to install, you always ant to be 100% dead in the center and take your time, make sure eveything is level and plum

Last three words of your answer is what I was trying to convey. Is there a trck to starting the bearing level and plumb?
Cancel this question please. I figured it out
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician