Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Lol, i'm new to thi s well mercedes is telling me today that

hello JA: Hi. How can I...
hello
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: lol, i'm new to thi s well mercedes is telling me today that front brakes will be around $700, and rear around $700, last week they told me $around $600, but that guy does not work there anymore.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Are these the orignial brakes?
Customer: I don't know if they are original but it's a 2007 a bit more the 100,000
JA: What is the model of your '07 Mercedes?
Customer: i think is lx 940
JA: Are you fixing your 940 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: well they havent even looked at it yet but it's over thre for estimate
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it, and no i won't be fixing it myself, but I want to know what I can do about these prices
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
actually my car is a GL(###) ###-####
11/14/2017
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, I am Randall. What all did they say they need to replace?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Well the lady just gave me a quote from a price chart or menu she had.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I will have to bring the car back again tomorrow since they were too busy to check it today.

Ok, let me type up some information , Back shortly

Ok, kind of hard on a price chart use a menu unless they are VERY expensive on all repairs to all vehicles, Let me tell you book times, retail... say at dealer if one were to buy brand new dealer parts./ Obviously aftermarket parts would be less BUT... a shop still needs to mark parts up as they have to make money that way. If you came into our shop? using retail dealer parts prices,Book times for labor? and.. I do NOT know what they are saying you need so let us assume you need brake pads on front and rear and brake rotors on front and rear, Current rates area round what I have listed below, Sure could be a little more less depending on your area prices.This should give a good idea average on cost, $1400.that is very high. If they were to do rotors, pads etc that is front and rear brakes at worst case less calipers?

• front pads $157
  • Front rotors $97
  • front brakes labor $180
  • Rear pads $105
  • Rear brake rotors $124
  • Rear brake labor $180
  • shop fees $25
  • brake fluid as needed $5
  • Total = $873
  • I can NOT get close to $1400 for brakes, You need to question this, find out what they are charging fro each part and repair and labor, This should arm you with some information to question them. Do not commit to $1400 unless they can explain, Maybe? they are including calipers you most likely do NOT need/ Im not there so I can only say to answer you? your quotes are too high. Heck even if you say add 25% still no where near $1400 You NEED to question the shop or get a second opinion at another shop
  • parts are not cheap for this car, we know this. BUT..

Please use the Star rating at the top of your screen to leave feedback for my service I have provided, Please rate now and this post will NOT close, you can leave rating and still return to this post for followups. Thanks

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you very much, Mercedes Benz said it’s actually over $700, but I don’t remember exactly how much. I will take it to another shop.

I would. I can NOT speak for your area or what they are quoting but been doing this 36 years and you come to my shop? this is a quote I would give you with all I listed. Sure could be a little higher or lower, I can Not control that, I wanted you to at least be armed so you can ask legit questions about any estimate given. get the facts, what? all is included. $1400 too high but may?be a reason for that, I can NOT answer that. I hope all goes ok and hope you have some more info to help make a good decision on the repair. I am on your side with this

Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician