Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Parking lights don't work. Front marker lights and while

Parking lights don't work JA: Just...
Parking lights don't work
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Front marker lights and while driving at night with headlights on the lights in the rear do not work.
JA: What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: 02 impreza wrx
JA: Are you fixing your Impreza WRX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, trying to fix it myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Fuse #5 Is good
11/12/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Have you verified power on fuse 5?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am probing the top spot of what I believe to be fuse 5 with a test light. The test light does not illuminate. I am probing the fuse behind the coin tray labeled as "Tail Clearance keys are in the ignition and headlights are on at time of probe.

ok there is a main fuse then a relay that powers that, check fuse 7 in the main fuse box underhood

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Probed the top slot of the one 20A labeled "lighting sw". The test light illuminates on both sides there.

Just to make sure are the fuses not labeled in the manual ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In the manual it shows fuse 7 to be automatic transmission control unit

whats the vin number for that so I can make sure im looking at the right diagram

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
JF1GD29642H503000

ok yeah im showing fuse 7 in the underhood location, it dosent give a label just the number im my diagram, is that the same location your looking at?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This manual doesn't imply that it is for a wrx. If that's any help.

well I cant find a legend for you so ill have to open this back up to the others for assistance

Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, different expert here. My name is***** you still needing help with this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do

Ok, let's try swapping the tail light relay with one of the other relays . The relay is located in the interior fuse box. I believe it will be the middle of three relays. You should be able to swap it with one of the other two as long as they are identical. Also try pressing the parking light switch on top of the steering column on then off a few times in case there is a poor connection at the switch.

Let me know what you find out.

Marty

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Marty, is there an easier way to get to these relays. The panel around it seems to be held on by a plastic philips head screw on the side. I have been pulling firmly around the perimeter but unsuccessful
Can you upload a picture of what you are dealing with?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Relays are identical. Swapped the bottom and middle. Still no lights. Should I swap the top and middle?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All 3 relays are the same..
Swapped them.
No lights.
I am calling it a day for now.
The switch on top of the column has been replaced Sunday. It was from eBay so that still is in the realm of possibilities

Sorry for not replying yesterday. It was late in Florida when you replied last night and I had already turned in for the evening. We need to confirm that the middle relay is actually the tail light relay. Your relays should have two small terminals and two large terminals. I need you to test for voltage at the large terminals in the box. One of the two terminals will have battery voltage. When you find the terminal with voltage I want you to remove fuse 7 under the hood and see if the voltage goes away. When the voltage goes away we have found the tail light relay.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No sweat. I am in California. I am getting ready for work now and will try this tonight. I appreciate your help.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Marty,
I'm not going to be able to get back to the car until Friday during the day.

No problem. I'll wait to hear from you.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hi Marty,
I have pulled all three of the relays. I probed the slots. The slot for the middle relay doesn't have power with the #7 fuse installed. I removed fuse number 7 and both of the others have power still.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I also caused a short circuit while probing. I believe I popped the fuse for the blinkers

That middle relay should be the tail light relay. Can you check the parking switch on the column and see if any of the three wires there have 12V? Fuse 6 under the hood is for the turn signals.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I show 12.2 volts on 2 of those wires

If you have voltage to those wires your parking lights should turn on when you turn the parking light switch on the top of the column on. Do the lights work with that switch?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Fuse 5 appeared to be decent. I replaced it with the spare 10 amp from the engine compartment panel. Probing the top of fuse 5 I don't get a light. Volt meter on the top of fuse 5 I show 5.8 volts across the top of both blades. Same results with parking light switch in both spots.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I bought replacement bulbs for the whole rear end. I don't know which go where though.

Sorry for not getting back to you I missed your last reply to me. Do you still need help with this?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Hi Marty,I figured you were away for the holidays. No worries. I do still need help with this. Did you get the message about fuse 5 having 5.8 volts on it?

Yes I did. It sounds like you have a bad fuse box. If you have 12V at both of the wires on the the parking light switch on the top of the column you should have 12V at the fuse. Try jumping power from a hot fuse over to the top of fuse 5 and see if the lights turn on.

Let me know what you find out.

Just checking in. Have you had a chance to get back to this?

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Sorry not yet I will be able to this evening though

No problem. Just curious :-)

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Good evening Marty!
Running a jumper from one fuse to the top of fuse 5 the lights do come on.
So we are looking at replacing a fuse panel?

Great! So the problem can actually be anywhere between the switch on the top of the column and the fuse panel but the panel is most likely. Next step would be to check the back of the fuse panel to see if you have 12V where the orange wire from the switch connects to the panel. It might be bad right there at the connection. Chances are that the wire between the two is fine but there is no guarantee. Wires tend to go bad at connection points or the fuse box can fail internally. Also look closely where the fuse plugs into the box. Remove the fuse and see if one of the terminals are burnt. If you have 12V to the panel but nothing at the fuse you will need to replace the panel. You are looking for an orange wire at terminal 11 at the back of the fuse panel. I also show a junction midway between the switch and the panel where the wire branches off to the security system. There could be a bad connection at the junction.

Let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Hi Marty.
I will be working on the car again on saturday.

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll be around if you need anything.

As long as they haven't cut into the orange wire I don't think it's affecting the lights. You can probably remove all of that from under the dash. Just make sure that any factory wires are left intact. You can also just leave it there if it's not causing a problem.

Customer reply replied 7 days ago
Still not getting a decent voltage at fuse 5.
I'm going to precede with ordering a new fuse panel.
If I finish this by rating. Will I still be able to follow up with if the fuse panel fixed it?

Can you locate the orange wire where it enters the fuse panel to see if it has 12V? If it does then I would replace the fuse panel.

Yes, you can still follow up after you rate my service.

Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you for the bonus! It is much appreciated I'll be here if you need anything

Customer reply replied 7 days ago
You are very welcome.
I have tried poking the orange wire from multiple angles with key on and key off.
I don't get 12 volts. I was able to see 12 volts at some of the neighboring wires.
I have been told by some of the Subaru dealers that the fuse panel is special order and they wouldn't get it in until January sometime.

If you aren't measuring voltage on the orange wire where it enters the fuse panel, try running a new wire from the switch to the panel.

Customer reply replied 7 days ago
Can you elaborate on the new wire end points?

The orange wire goes straight from the parking light switch on the top of the column to the fuse panel. If you have 12V on both wires at the switch but you don't have 12V on the orange wire at the fuse panel I would run a new wire from the switch to that point. You just need to be sure that you are testing the correct orange wire. Sometimes there is more than one. Send me some pictures if you are not sure.

Marty
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician