Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Key won't turn in ignition. Wheel is unlocked. Have tried…

Key won't turn in...

Key won't turn in ignition. Wheel is unlocked. Have tried all three keys that have worked in past no luck. Have tried to clean out cylinder three times no luck. Have disconnected battery three times no luck.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Steering wheel can turn as I stated before. Keys are fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Saturn?

2007 Relay

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Please read my first post.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Car recognizes key is in cylinder.

11/13/2017
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the steering column isn't locked in a way that it's binding the linkage in the column then this is most likely being caused by a stuck tumbler in the lock cylinder. The permanent repair would be to replace the lock cylinder but you may be able to get the key to turn again temporarily.

Spray some penetrating oil directly into the lock cylinder. Insert the key and run it in and out quickly several times, repeat the process.

Then insert the key fully and give it a few good taps on the end. This will often jar loose a stuck tumbler.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Tried this again and no luck. Going to take to a shop to get fixed. Thanks for the info.