Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Smells like burning matches on fast (freeway) acceleration.

Customer Question
Second opinion] smells like...

Second opinion] smells like burning matches on fast (freeway) acceleration

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?

2008 Civic EX with 94,600 miles on it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just trying to diagnose before taking it to someone

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Getting ready to take a*****trip ... what should i check before i go? thanks!

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Car
11/12/2017
Auto Mechanic: Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr. replied 8 months ago
Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. A burning match odor (actually a Hydrogen Di-sulfide odor) usually comes from the grade of gasoline being used. Before you do anything, change gasoline companies. Some fuel additives react in a noticeable odor form the exhaust. It is also possible that you have dirty fuel injectors that are allowing a bit too much fuel into the cylinders. I would recommend a can of a great fuel injector cleaner called "BG 44-K" be added to the tank and drive it. Since you did not mention a check engine light being on at the dash, we can assume the converter and sensors are OK. I recommend you switch gasoline stations and add a can of the fuel injection cleaner listed above. If you have any questions, please reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks.