Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Smells like burning matches on fast (freeway) acceleration.

Customer Question
Second opinion] smells like...

Second opinion] smells like burning matches on fast (freeway) acceleration

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?

2008 Civic EX with 94,600 miles on it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just trying to diagnose before taking it to someone

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Getting ready to take a*****trip ... what should i check before i go? thanks!

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Car
11/12/2017
Auto Mechanic: Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr. replied 5 months ago
Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. A burning match odor (actually a Hydrogen Di-sulfide odor) usually comes from the grade of gasoline being used. Before you do anything, change gasoline companies. Some fuel additives react in a noticeable odor form the exhaust. It is also possible that you have dirty fuel injectors that are allowing a bit too much fuel into the cylinders. I would recommend a can of a great fuel injector cleaner called "BG 44-K" be added to the tank and drive it. Since you did not mention a check engine light being on at the dash, we can assume the converter and sensors are OK. I recommend you switch gasoline stations and add a can of the fuel injection cleaner listed above. If you have any questions, please reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks.

Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service