Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2000 2.3l kompressor lost power to the rear coil which i…

Customer Question
2000 2.3l kompressor lost...

2000 2.3l kompressor lost power to the rear coil which i resored by splicing the 2 grounds together. before it would start for a couple of seconds now it sounds like it jumped time

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

Mercedes c230 2000 model year

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C230 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Restored power to the rear coil which did not have power by splicing the black and black/white wire to the front coil which had power

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Could this cause the engine to sound like it jumped time?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Car
11/10/2017
Auto Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 9 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi,My name is Jay

When you spliced the black and black/white wires you caused the coils to all fire at the same time and will cause the rough running problem. you will need to disconnect the splice and do further testing to see if the computer is turning on both coils on black and black/white signal wires.

The black wires are not grounds but both go to computer and computer uses them to turn on and off the coils as it needs to.

Did you have any other questions for me? If not, please enter a 5 star rating so I get credit for assisting you. Thanks.

Auto Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 8 months ago

I have not got a response from the last answers I sent you. Do you still need assistance?

Auto Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 7 months ago

If no other questions can you please enter a 5 star rating so I can get credit for helping you and can get question closed out. Thanks.