Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2013 Mazda 6 touring After jumped dead battery no Radio,

2013 Mazda 6 touring After jumped...
2013 Mazda 6 touring
After jumped dead battery no
Radio, left corner of display has mpg etc. Checked and changed 30 a fuse. Is there a relay to chk?
10/31/2017
Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, was the fuse blown or did you replace it just to check?

Fuse not blown
Replaced it with working one to be sure

Okay, you should try never to jump a newer car like that, the computers don't take well to it. As an owner, if you are able, the only thing you could try is to disconnect the battery cables, and leave them off for about 10 minutes. Then reconnect positive first, then negative. If that "reboot" doesn't bring back the audio then you will likely have to have the car reprogrammed at a minimum, hopefully the unit didn't take a hit.

What do you do when stranded with dead battery

Either remove the battery and charge or use a jump pack specifically designed to prevent voltage surges, jumping with a car creates power fluctuation that can damage the computers.

All other electrical seems to be fine

That's good, if you had done something that blew that fuse you would be in for a world of hurt. Hopefully you just caught the audio in the process of booting up and made it freeze. That's why you should try and "reset" it. But occasionally you'll glitch the software and so a full reload is necessary, the car is basically a network now, and has the exact same problems.

Ok so it's disconnect battery cables and hope for the best
Or use other music

Well, yes. But if you do have a programming issue it might be good to get it looked at. As I said, it's a network and everything in the car communicates, loss of one unit (audio) could cause issues for other parts of the network. Definitely get it in if other systems start to act up.

Ok

Thanks for using JA.

Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician