Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

How can I stop cowl shake? in a 2002 Cambiocorsa Spyder. New…

How can I stop...

How can I stop cowl shake? in a 2002 Cambiocorsa Spyder

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Spyder yourself? What have you tried so far?

New tyres, wheel balance nothing else

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?

From what I can find out this is a common known problem, I just wondered if there is a way of overcoming this? Tyres are 4 years old

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Answered in 1 day by:
10/21/2017
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you're experiencing an abnormal vibration it could be caused by quite a few things. It could be tire, wheel or hub related, it could be a drivetrain issue, it could actually be an engine performance issue.

Does the vibration change or come and go with throttle application?

Does it happen at certain speeds?

Thanks for your reply, as far as I can make out this a known issue with 2002 Maserati Cambiocorsa Spyder. On the forums I have read it is described as "Cowl Shake". It feels a bit like a wheel which is not balanced and comes up through the steering wheel as a slight shake. It happens at 100km and is not always apparent and comes and goes. The car is still in good condition having only done aprox 45000km. I have had the wheels balanced and mechanical checks do not reveal any hub or engine mount wear.

It is not affected by throttle, it is there at constant cruising

If it's constant and the steering wheel vibrates then the issue is with tires, wheels, or runout in one or more hubs. I would recommend a radial force variation balance and having hub runout measured.

Thank you I will get these checked out

You're welcome!

Please remember to rate my performance before leaving the site as that is the only way I receive credit for helping you; a five star rating is greatly appreciated!

Good luck with your vehicle!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician