Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

How to get a stuck steering colum onto rack and pinion.

How to get a stuck...
How to get a stuck steering colum onto rack and pinion
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: South dakoat
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Dakota
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
10/19/2017
Gary
Gary, Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

the steering column shaft will not go on to the rack splined stem ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can’t pry it down
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried pry it down with Long screw drivers it is a 97 Chevy lumina 3.1 liter
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I cut int the boot in the car and push it down from the inside?

that lower shaft should be a slide shaft if its stuck sometimes you have to tap it down with a screw driver or hammer

yes you can just tape back up the boot after

but tapping it down should work

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tap by putting screw drive into nut hole and hitting with hammer

yes or angle it to tap down in the area of the joint part of it

it should tap down for you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I get a hammer close enough open end of a big wrench might work

from under the hood aiming it down

OR unbolt the steering shaft off the bottom of the steering column then in a vise work and lube the shaft so it slips easy like it should then put it back in the car

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will pb blaster work for lube?

yes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The colum is moving I think it is the spline Can I move the spline to align does the groove match the bolt holes and the flat sides the pinch?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m sure it probably does but I do not want to lose my warranty my old rack is lined up different

yes just move the rack spline to align to the column

it will not hurt anything at all

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

anytime

dont forget to rate me here

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m sure it is the spline but I can’t align it is there a trick

make sure the bottom column spline is opened up so to say and it should only go on one way into the rack shaft

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Elaborate a little

the bottom of the shaft has a cut into it so to say tapping a fat screw driver into the opening will open it up a bit then looking at the rack shaft and the column shaft there is only one way it can align

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it the bolt groove is hard to aligne the videos make it look easy!

good job

dont forget to rate me

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am going to try to aligne the flat side of the pinch with the flat side of the spline

ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s not working

that is the only way to get it on

you have to be sure you have the opening of the shaft aligned to the flat of the racks stem

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

how is it going ?

Gary
Gary, Technician
Gary
Gary
Gary, Technician