Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Simon here. I have an 05 nissan note with a smart key. If i

Hi. Simon here. I have...
Hi. Simon here. I have an 05 nissan note with a smart key. If i use the buttons on the remote controll i can lock and unlock the doors ok. If i approach the car with the fob in my pocket i can push the little button on the door handle and the central locking will either lock or unlock. But when I get in the car I cannot just turn the pastic bit in the igniyion to start the car, I have to actually put a key in the ignition to start my car, Any help would be great please. Thanks. Simon.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: I can turn the streering wheel if its not locked. No the key is not worn.I have two keys. One in the fob and another that has been recently cut and programmed.
JA: What is the model/year of your smart?
Customer: Its a 2005 nissan note.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to fix it myself. Went to a locksmith who sold and programmed a brand new remote only to find the same thing. He took it back and reprogrammed mine.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you.
10/19/2017
Jay
Jay, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Does it do the same thing with both remotes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I only have one remote controll

This could be a Bcm issue. Try this and lets see if this works. Disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins, then connect it.

See if the touch entry starts to work and then see if the remote operation returns to normal operation and let me know..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have tried this and it does the same thing. Touch entry works. Buttons work but can't turn the ignition with out a key in it.

If everything works, but you have to use the mechanical key, you may need to have the remotes reprogrammed to get them to work properly.

When programming the remotes, they can be tricky if not done properly. Part of it's operation can work and others may not. Which is what it sounds like you have going on.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hi Jay. Sorry been away on business. A lock Smith has already tried a new remote and it did the same thing.

Is this a After Market Key or a Factory Nissan Key?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Factory Nissan

Then you may have a issue with the Body Control Module causing this.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Does the body controll module perform the security function?

It does a bunch of things. It does Key Registration, Security, Interior illumination, and many other functions.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
a second hand one will need programming? Does it have to go to Nissan or can any auto sparky do it?

If you get a Used one, it would need to be configured.. All keys would need to be programmed & remotes. All tire pressure sensors will need to be reprogrammed as well.

But I would have it checked to verify before replacing.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
How do you check it? I want to do this myself as the local nissan dealer is a rip off.

It will require the Nissan Scan tool. It is not something you are going to be able to do yourself I am afraid.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, ASE Certified Technician
Jay
Jay
Jay, ASE Certified Technician