Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

On a 2008 6.4 powerstroke, ran perfect then started smoking…

on a 2008 6.4 powerstroke...
on a 2008 6.4 powerstroke, ran perfect then started smoking slightly and missing a bit, no hard knock or anything, was showing code for cyl 8, turned inj off & on with scanner and it didn't do anything... so I was going to replace inj but did a quick compression test and gauge won't even lift. put my finger on GP hole and very little pressure. rockers move fine. can a piston blow out totally without sounds? It did also dump a pile of coolant out the rad cap then as well that hadn't before. But the cap doesn't hold pressure when I tested it. So can a HG blow out in a way to cause it or a piston toast? Rest on that side have 200psi across the board...
10/18/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

The problem you are having is not likely a blown out piston but instead a valve train concern and if you are sure the rockers are moving okay and there are no bent push rods then I would suspect you may have a bad seating valve. Unfortunately that means the head has to come off if that is the case.

ok. how about the other 3 cyl on that side that all have around 200psi?

They are low as well, you need to see right at 340 to 375 PSI. If the other are low then I would suspect you have a sealing issue such as a blown head gasket or even bad valve on this bank. At either rate it looks like the head needs to come off for a close inspection.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ron, ASE Certified Technician