Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Engine make squealing sound like belt slipping removed belt…

Engine make squealing sound like...
Engine make squealing sound like belt slipping removed belt still squeals,chev cruz 1.4
10/17/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

What area of the engine dose the noise seem to be coming from?

Where pulleys are
I disconnected serp belt and still does it

There are known issues with the valve cover causing a squeal noise so before we do anything else try , blocking the breather port of the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) diaphragm with your finger with the engine running and see if the noise stops.

Where is it

It should be the Hose that attaches to the valve cover. Remove it and plug it with your finger with the engine running.

There are no hoses but blocked a hole and sqealing started,was not squealingthis time

The common cause requires replacing the valve cover but to verify you need to check it when the noise is present. Are you saying it was not present when you checked it

it wasn't I'll check it when it's doing it and get back with you

Okay that would be a good idea. Im here if needed, post back when your ready and we can work from there is needed.

The valve cover or gasket

The valve cover because thats where the orifice for the PCV is and its not service separate form the valve cover.

Ok I let warm up and squeals with some ticking when I plug hole gets worse
When I remove oil filler there is suction
Squeaking Stops when I remove oil filler cap

That sure sounds to me like the known issue with the valve cover .

Ok,I'll order valve cover,not in stock at chev place and I'll
Get back to you ater I install it

Sure thing, Im here if needed.

Thanks

Your very welcome and thank you as well.

Hello Ron; I replaced valve cover, got it to operating temp,no squealing still suction when removing oil filler cap,and engine changes when removing filler cap or oil dip stick,also a ticking noise

Its normal for the engine to change the way its running when you remove the oil cap. The suction is normal as well. Its from the PCV.

What causes valve cover to go bad,could catalytic cause it

I think is was a design flay and should not be cause by the catalytic converter. If you have a failing converter you will usually get a fault code and usually a loss of power.

Ok, thanks for your help

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician