Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

The running voltage is below 13v so the system isn't

The running voltage is below...
The running voltage is below 13v so the system isn't charging the battery. Recently swapped the alternator from another car. 2001 Hyundai Accent GSI
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: Yes tested with a volt meter, battery is clean as well as being fairly new to the car
JA: Are you fixing your Accent yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Cleaning terminals. Changed alternator. It seems to go through phases where it will charge and run well, then it will run the battery down and need to be boosted every time it's turned off. There is a shim on the positive terminal which I have been suspect of, but has worked well for some time
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: How much is this service?
10/17/2017
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Hi my name is***** would suggest replace the terminal ends first and have system retested since the bad connector can cause problem with the alternator not charging and intermittent dead battery.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for the reply Jay,
Okay, cool I'll give that a go. Before I do, curiously I tested the resistance between the alternator harness and the positive terminal and it read 3-4 ohms and dropping, it that normal? I also cleaned the ground to chassis bolt by the battery and tested it's resistance from the (-) terminal on the battery, it read very low, but I wasn't getting any continuity when touching the meter probe to metal chassis around where the ground it bolted, also normal?
Sometimes paint on fender will not let you get a good ground. Remove ground at the body and clean it. When running you should be getting about 13.5 at battery. What voltage do you have?

If you have no other questions for me then please enter a 5 star rating so I can get credit for helping you today. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I'm getting 11.9 - 12.4volts usually

This is not a good alternator output. Check the voltage at each of the three wires at the alternator when the engine is running and let me know what each voltage is? You may have a bad alternator or wire issue and need to voltages to see what is going on.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Okay, will do, that's one of the places I haven't tested, I think because I assumed that the 2nd alternator works. I'll have an answer late this evening

Let me know if you have any other questions. If not then please enter a 5 star rating so i can get credit for helping you out today. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Alternator was good, 14v from it to the (-) terminal. Tested another ground from the engine block and seemed like it was weak. Cleaned it and another terminal and now I'm getting 13.1v across the battery. I'll see if it sticks tomorrow. Thanks for the help

You are welcome. Please enter a rating of 5 stars so i get credit for helping you out. Thanks.

Jaybird61
Jaybird61
Jaybird61