Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

On to the 1999 Toyota Camary: Run for a week or so great.

On to the 1999 Toyota...
On to the 1999 Toyota Camary:
Run for a week or so great. Then next time you try to start it it runs then cuts out. Cannot keep it running. Start then shuts off/cuts out. Just wont stay running.
Went to mechanic and they said changed plugs/ air filter/ changed oil/filter (just because it was time) But other than that that is all they did. I get no one wants to work on it because it's old, but it only has 62,000 original miles and is solid it would be nice if I could have someone that cares actually try to tell me what else to look at other than it's old and I can't put it on the reader to diagnose it.
10/16/2017
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. Has anyone checked anything like fuel pressure, fault codes, ?

nope. honestly I think its just they don't want to. Fault codes (that's with the machine?) if so they said it can't be plugged in to get a reading.

its with a code reader. and its an obd2 vehicle so if they told you it cant be plugged in they are lying. all cars from '96 to present are obd2

it is important to have the fuel pressure tested. its very possible that the pump has never been replaced and is on its way out. also is the check engine light on? or does it ever come on while driving?

It's been on since I acquired it from my aunt. Again, told "it's nothing, it's just an old car"

if the check engine light is on. there is fault codes stored in the computer. whoever is telling you that is incompetent. you can but a cheap code reader at harbor frieght for 20-30 dollars. i will walk you through the wayy to use it.

ok sounds like a plan. I will have to go buy one. Seems noone like to work on these old cars. can you give me the steps to using the code reader and when I buy it I can get to using it? You have given me more info than the two very reputable mechanics here in my town. Thank you.

buy the code reader. it will have instructions. let me know when you have it. i will walk you through tis operations then

Thank you. Will get one tonight or tomorrow. Thank you for all your help.

you're very welcome, Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

thank you very much, Ill be waiting to hear from you.