Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

My Peugot 308 diesel stalls in first gear and at low revs.

Customer Question
One mechanic said the air...
My Peugot 308 diesel stalls in first gear and at low revs. One mechanic said the air con was faulty and I replaced it. The problem did not go away. I love the car but it is dangerous when it stalls as I'm turning a corner or stalled at the lights.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/14/2017
Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

can you tell me if you have the automatic or the manual gearbox?

also how many miles are on the car ? and when it was last servicec

It is a manual diesel purchased in 2007-8 and has done @70000 at a guess. It was last serviced early this year. I keep services up to date and rarely do the listed kilometres in between. The car does less than10 kms every day. I live in the dry tropics so the climate is hot. I checked the Peugot website and there was a recall for a similar sounding problem but my car was not one of those.
Thank you *****

hello Sandra

sorry about the late reply, for some reason your answer wasn't flagging up

1st check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

then try checking for airleaks after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for causing rough running. As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometime hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.
if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty

its also worth cleaning the airflow meter by removing it from the car and spraying the exposed sensor wires inside the tube with a brake or switch cleaner - ensure that the cleaner is one of the old fashioned, non Eco type that does not leave a residue

On no acc**t touch the sensor wires with anything physical as they are extremely fragile

Matt, Engineer