Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Car: 2006 Audi A6 Qattro 3.2L BKH engine 200K miles.

WAUDH74F36N158049Task: I want to remove...
WAUDH74F36N158049Task: I want to remove the Upper Intake Manifold so that I can clean the intake valves.Problem: I can’t remove the Crankcase Pressure Regulator Valve or the attached crankcase breather hose because I’m afraid of breaking something. I need to do one of these in order to remove the Upper Intake Manifold.The Bentley shop manual (sheet attached) says to disconnect the hose from the bottom of the valve. It’s in a tough position and I’m concerned with breaking the hose connector in the process. I believe I would then need to buy a $200 breather hose assembly. I tried to remove the valve from the intake manifold with the hose still connected to it but wasn’t able to and did not want to apply a lot of force.Maybe I should remove the bolts securing the upper intake manifold to the intake runners which would give me more access & wiggle room? Maybe I should buy a new breather hose assembly because the old one is probably gunked up anyway? Maybe I should stop being a pussy and apply some force?I did notice in the Bentley manual that they warn against disconnecting the crankcase ventilation hoses from the valve covers and the engine block. I don’t know if that is because of regulatory reasons or because the hose connectors seem impossible to remove without breaking them. I tried removing the hose from the left valve cover and part of the connector snapped off. It kind of looks like a four leaf clover and has the strength of a potato chip.What are your recommendations on how to do the removals?Steve
10/13/2017
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

The "strength of a potato chip" had me laughing. Thats a good one. But seriously, your best bet is to disconnect the plastic line that is connected at the throttle body, like it shows in the diagram that you have circled. That connector should release by squeezing in the sides of the round piece of the connector closest to the throttle body then pulling off the line. Unfortunately if it is going to break its going to break. You have to remove it to get the job done. The plastic does get brittle over time and sometimes plastic things just start breaking.

Eric,Thanks for the reply. The plastic hose doesn’t terminate on the intake manifold but on the PCV valve which then plugs into the intake manifold. This gives me the option of either removing the hose from the PCV valve or the PCV valve (with the hose still attached) from the intake manifold. The connector does not have a round piece close to the termination end but a “cloverleaf” kind of piece. I’ve seen the round ones removed on “you tube” and they seem easy. I can’t figure out where you’re supposed to push or pull these cloverleaf fittings to release them without breaking them. Do you know how?I’ve included a picture of the breather hose assembly. The connectors to the left and right go to the valve covers. The one I would need to remove is in the center facing down and you can see the right side of it. It is larger than the valve cover connectors and maybe less fragile.As I mentioned I could leave the breather hose connector attached to the PCV valve and try to remove the PCV valve from the intake manifold but I definitely don’t want to break the intake manifold. Breaking the PCV valve wouldn’t be costly. Do you have any thoughts on trying this procedure?Steve

THe way I do it is to remove the breather hose from the pcv. The "cloverleaf" design fittings work like the circular ones. You need to squeeze the "cloverleafs" to spread the sides of it open and then it can be removed.

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return. Be sure to please take a quick moment and rate my assistance by clicking the stars above. Thank you for rating and for using Just Answer.

eric remington

y​ou don't need a phone call Eric from Ct. has given a good answer

eric remington
eric remington
eric remington
eric remington