Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have a 98 buick regal gs and it starts for a few seconds

then stalls. The fuel...
I have a 98 buick regal gs and it starts for a few seconds then stalls. The fuel pressure gauge reads 55 when I turn the ignition to on, then when I start the car it quickly drops and car stalls. then fuel pressure builds back to 55 and car will start again. I already checked relays
JA: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was the last time it was serviced?
Customer: The car has some miles, probably around 215000... new transmission and the top end of motor rebuilt around 10,000 miles ago. I maintain my own vehicle and am on it regularly, wondering if it could be the regulator or the fuel pump itself. Would a bad pump cause the pressure to just drop after starting?
JA: Are you fixing your Regal yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am fixing it, tried to bypass regulator but no go. it was running fine, went to pull out of a parking lot and it just stalled. and now it starts but stalls almost immediately.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope
10/12/2017
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Is your vehicle equipped with a 3.1L or 3.8L engine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
3.8 supercharged

Have you checked the fuel pump resistor?

Gunvir Singh
Phone call session started

Resistor part number 88951182

1. Locate the fuel pump resistor assembly located on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Below the windshield washer bottle, tucked between the frame and inner fender well, is a big ceramic resistor.

2. Disconnect the connector to it and jump the Light Green and Gray wires together and then see if the engine starts and stays running.

Gunvir Singh
Gunvir Singh
Gunvir Singh