Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 48 Plymouth(stock 6v pos ground) with a Pertronix…

Customer Question
I have a 48...

I have a 48 Plymouth(stock 6v pos ground) with a Pertronix electronic Ignition. How ever I don't believe I changed the coil to a higher output coil. I am now have a "stumbling" at a higher rpm in each gear as I drive. Could the old stock coil be causing the problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery lately?

Yes, I had new Batt installed earlier in the year. And just last week had the generator checked out and repaired because it was not charging.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Plymouth?

1948 Plymouth Special Deluxe 218 cu. in. 6 cyl

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Special?

Special Deluxe is the model.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Special yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes! Some more backround for you. I just replace/repaired the harmonic balencer which had come apart. I reset the timing after put the repaired balencer back on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

At the same time as all this is happening I'm also having problems with my overdrive engaging(Borg-Warner R10) I'm not sure if this relates to the output of the coil.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Car
10/5/2017
Auto Mechanic: Mike S., Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

What is the part number of the coil that is on there now and what are the part numbers of the ignition, too?