Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 2013 Audi A3 tsi1.8 and on the dash where it says…

Customer Question
I have a...

I have a 2013 Audi A3 tsi1.8 and on the dash where it says PRNDL when I drive for longer than about 15 minutes it it begins to flash: no engine light comes on, nor any other warning lights. Is this normal? Am I having transmission failure?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Yes I took it to my local mechanic (he doesn't spécialisé in transmissions" but that the computer had picked up an error which said "exceeds limits"

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I've only taken it to a mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that it doesn't feel like it jumps gears, it hasn't lost power reversing or accelerating and it doesn't make any unusual noises

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Car
10/5/2017
Auto Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

there are many reasons the display will flash, but all for transmission failures.

your best bet is to bring it to the dealer because other shops do not have the capability to read the correct fault codes.

I know you may be wanting a better answer but we dont even know what the current codes are. so its hard for me to tell you what is wrong or what to expect.

but getting the codes read is the best and first place to start to save time an also the possibility of breakdown.

do you notice ANY issues with the trans ?? can you manually shift through all the gears with the shifter?

Lou

It's an automatic not a manual. I have noticed very rarely that there is a little bit of lag when I accelerate but that's honestly it.

lol, you do know that you can automatically shift gears in this car do you not?

manual cars do not have PRNDL :)

cmon give me a little more credit then that haha