Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

How do i temporarily turn off the passenger air bag on a…

Customer Question
How do i temporarily...

How do i temporarily turn off the passenger air bag on a 2009 CTS

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?

3 days, I just received a new heart. Mileage is approximately 128,000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?

If practical, all of my tools are 300 miles away. Checking internet suggestions

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I am not looking for a permanent adjustment for approximately 3 months

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Car
10/1/2017
Auto Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. There is no dedicated fuse for the passenger side airbag(s) to remove to disable this side onley. In order to disable the passenger side air bag(s) solely, you will need to disconnect the passenger side airbag(s), which may prove to be a task. Here, I am attaching the arming and disarming information for the airbag system along with the electrical circuits to give you a better understanding.

Here is location information for the air bag system that show the location of it's components.

This component is in the dash. Here, I am attaching replacement information just to give you a general idea.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Todd,
Please reread my last response. I do not have access to my tools. I requested a (simple) temporary method to turn off the pasenger air bag. I need a step by step process and I expect that your solution is the soluttion, not "I hope" as you responded.

I understand you issue and have read the question, but I have explained to you, there is no way to turn off only the passenger side airbag. You will have to disarm the entire system. If you read the information that I sent, there are only two ways, to disconnect the negative battery cable or remove the fuses, which I have provided the location for both fuses. I see that you need further confirmation and will opt out of this.

Your most recent response clearly states "there is no way to turn off the passenger air bag". Then, in your latest response you provide information to disable the air bag system, which i interpret that to indicate that your only absolute way to shut off the passenger airbag is to disable the entire airbag system. That is an unacceptable response. If you cannot provide a viable answer to my question then you have not answered my question.