Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

1997 Cadillac Eldorado, AC compressor is OFF, Clutch will…

Customer Question
1997 Cadillac Eldorado, AC...

1997 Cadillac Eldorado, AC compressor is OFF, Clutch will not engage. Just serviced AC system, new dryer, orifice tube . Vaccum tested and holds vacuum, no leaks. Cleared all ACM codes. Primed system with R-134 while engine off, Started engine, turned on AC, set temp to coldest setting on high speed fan. Clutch still will not engage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No ptoblems to that nature, Car runs and shift perfectly

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eldorado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I am doing the work.Just serviced AC system, new dryer, orifice tube . Vaccum tested and holds vacuum, no leaks. Cleared all ACM codes. Primed system with R-134 while engine off, Started engine, turned on AC, set temp to coldest setting on high speed fan. Clutch still will not engage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats it, nothing else

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Car
Also replaced the AC Relay. Clutch still does not engage, Stil get reading on dash of AC Compressor if OFF
Freon pressure in the system is at 45 psi. Only a small amount of freon is in the system.
Replaced the Low Pressure switch.
Even tried jumping the low pressure switch with a paper clip, still not engaging
removed both battery cables and touched them together to reset PCM.... still nothing
One thing I did notice on the onboard diagnostic , it keeps showing CHECK COOLANT LEVEL. The coolant level is fine.
Is there a way to reset the PCM to default settings and clear all codes?
Is it the PCM that is preventing the AC Clutch to engage?
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/27/2017
Auto Mechanic: Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech replied 8 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Hello Amedee.

You are now connected with a mechanic.

I am very sorry you're having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

• I don't know your skill level or background.
  • I also don't know the vehicle's history other than what you have and provide me with here on this page.
  • Please keep in mind, I cannot see the vehicle and I am not there to run the tests and check things as needed. I am relying on you to provide me with accurate information. My answers are solely based on the information you provide me with.
  • If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.
  • If you don't understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.
  • Please understand that I am here to help.

Do you have access to a wiring diagram for the AC system on this vehicle?

If not, would you like one?

NO

No to which question sir?

both

How are you going to diagnose this electrical issue without a wiring diagram?

Never mind my request.
Thank you for your time.

Your most welcome sir.