Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a question about used cars. I am thinking about

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about used cars. I am thinking about getting a used car but I want to know how many miles should be on the car in order for it to be good for the needs I have. I have a daughter who lives 128 miles from me. Round trip from my door to hers is 258 miles. I would only be going to see her once or twice per month.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

I haven't purchased the car yet. I want to know how many miles should the car I purchase have on it to be worth me buying it? For instance: will a car with 100,000 miles be able to make that 258 mile trip 1-2 times per month plus get me around Chicago,IL for what I will use it for? It doesn't have to last forever. 2-3 years and then I would be able to get a newer car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'll be purchasing a used vehicle. I just want to know what kind of mileage on the vehicle I purchase should have for the driving needs I have.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No Ma'am.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Car
9/26/2017
Auto Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, do you know you average miles you drive each week around your home area / to/from work etc?