Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Convertible top not all theway closed latches laying on

Customer Question
Convertible top not all...

Convertible top not all theway closed latches laying on windshield frame,wont operate fuse is good

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual yet?

Doesnt have one

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Convertible?

2007

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am a SHOP,CHECKED FUSE AND REPLACED

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

NO,THAts it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Car
9/25/2017
Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 8 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This is usually caused by a failing micro switch/sensor that sends signals to let the roof control unit/ecu know what position the roof is in.The switch/sensor will send signals to then allow the latches to open and latch.If the affected sensor/switch is sending a false signal or no signal at all the latches will not open or latch.I have seen this several times before in the past.

What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a fully compatible scan tool or computer that will plug into your model and can read all computers in your vehicle to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue here.

The scan tool or computer is also used to monitor the switch/sensor signals to locate one that is sending a false signal needing replaced.

If you can post the model of your vehicle here I may be able to locate the possible switch at fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

g 6 will check for codes and get back to you

O.k.,the codes have to be checked with a fully compatible scan tool that can communicate with all computers as a simple code reader will only read some computers in your vehicle.

Here is a list of the switch/sensors:

- Rear Compartment Limit Switches
- Rear Compartment Lid Release Switch (S3 and S4)
- Rear Compartment Lid Release Switch-Front Hinge-Left (S11 and S12)
- Rear Compartment Lid Release Switch-Front Hinge-Right (S9 and S10)
- Folding Top Front Location Pin Guide-Left (S17 and S18)
- Rear Compartment Lid Release Switch-Left (S19A)
- Rear Compartment Lid Release Switch-Right (S19B)
- Rear Compartment Partition Position Switch (S20)
- Folding Top Front Location Pin Position Switch (S13)
- Folding Top Front Latch Actuator Position Switch (S14)

I suspect it may be the folding top front location switch S17 and S18 at fault here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

have sous scan tool ,get into body control module,but no data/codes available for conv.top

The convertible top control module is located near the pump for the roof system as shown below.You would need a scan tool that can communicate with it to check codes in it as well as observe sensor signal status to help locate the faulty sensor needing replaced unfortunately.There are allot of scan tools out there that wont communicate with this control unit and in some cases this requires a dealers scan tool to do this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7jk7wk3tq1cgxr/cv-09-25.gif?dl=0

Looking at the diagnostic test procedure for this model it requires a scan tool to communicate with this control module to do the testing.If you would like this procedure let me know but it does require a scan tool to help walk through the testing to locate the fault.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician