Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My Cad recently bean making an exhaust type "click" when…

Customer Question
My Cad recently bean...

My Cad recently bean making an exhaust type "click" when first started. The sound goes away in less than five minutes. Could it be the EGR valve, and if so where is it located?

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Seems to be near the front of the engine. It has been going on about a month. I pulled my RV about 1,000 miles. Each day of pulling, the check engine light would come on. By the next morning, the light was gone. Happened on three pull days. The click started after this.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your rv?

My RV is a 2009, 26 foot Travel trailer. I pull it with my 2005 Cad. Escalade ESV. 107,000 miles on Cad. The Cad has the problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escalade ESV yourself? What have you tried so far?

As a retired small shop mechanic, I plan to fix it myself. I've taken the engine covers off and looked for the EGR. A friend suggested the EGR possibility.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not yet. I will go start the engine with the covers off to isolate the sound. Thank you.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Car
9/25/2017
Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 10 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The first thing that has to be done here is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool that can plug in and reads all computers ( especially the engine computer) to see what codes are set.The codes are then diagnosed to locate and repair this fault here.A local parts store will read out the codes at no charge to you.If you can get the codes read out and then post the fault code number here this will help.Even if you do not have a check engine light now there should still be a code stored in the engine computer for this issue.

The noise you hear can be the purge solenoid as it will tick on start up and can run for a few minutes or it may be a secondary air injection relay or pump as it can cause noises at start up and then shut down after a few minutes.Both of these components acting up though can cause the check engine light to come on.Usually the EGR valve would cause harsh running issues if it was at fault so I do not suspect this is the cause.

If you can get the codes read out and post them here though this will help to identify the fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete