Michael Solis
Michael Solis,
Experience:  Lead Tech at Solis Auto Repair
99786211

I'm trying to figure out if my the a/c pressure switch has a

Hi! I'm trying to figure out if my the a/c pressure switch has a schrader value before it or not
JA: Besides this, what condition is the car in?
Customer: I don't know how to answer that question
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2008 honda civic
JA: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm trying to fix my a/c so my service dog won't die from overheating on the 700 mile trip home
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the blower was bad, replaced it. we've replaced the relays too I don't understand what is happening

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive world for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

You need to know if refrigerant has to be extracted to remove the pressure sensor without refrigerant going everywhere?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Yeah
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I don't like phones

Yes you have to have 0 refrigerant because it does not have a schrader valve.

removing it will cause refrigerant to come out.

Is there anything else I can help you with? Did I answer your question?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
is there anywhere where Honda has published this information? I like to check primary sources

I will double check one moment

vin number please

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
1HGFA15598L057102
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
The A/C on my car hasn't worked properly since I purchased it in 2013. I am receiving a service dog because I am disabled and I have to drive ~700 miles to pick it up and home. Since I live in Texas and dogs don't sweat, I'm trying to fix it so my service dog won't die of heat exhaustion

I do not see a procedure for removal and replacement that shows no valve there , only shows diagram of location and procedure to diagnose a non working ac system.

is the ac relay good?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I checked that. My blower was bad and I replaced it.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
http://www.pontiacpower.org/pdf/ACtestUS.pdfI ran the test on page 4 and none of those problems are it

If the relay wasn't bad, remove the relay and check for battery voltage on two of the terminals. If there is no voltage to contact side of the relay, check fuse 20. Also check the fuse connections. Do not use a logic probe to check for battery voltage, they are not accurate for measuring battery voltage

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
People online keep talking about bypassing the pressure value to make sure it's bad. I've only seen instructions for two/four pronged pressure values, but my car has three
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I don't have a lot of tools, but I have the basic ones and jumper cables. If I can figure out what is wrong and buy the right part, I'll call around to find a shop that will evacuate the coolant for me, let me do the work, and bring it back to them.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
for example, I can't check the battery voltage. I think I can replace fuse 20 and see if that changes things.

attempting to bypass this one could cause ecm or ac control damage. you can monitor the voltage on the 5 volt signal wire to see what the volts are while connected. Do you have a scan tool? If you want a temporary fix, you can jump power to ac fan relay and ac clutch relay together would make the ac run and keep the pressure from being to high

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I think the idea is to jump it for a very short period of time just to prove that the system would work if the pressure switch were working properly? I am technically inclined and was working on my phd in chemistry before my health got in the way, but I'm a girl so no one has shown me how to play with electricity. There are petty things I don't know, like if I want to jump using my battery, do I use actual jumper cables and if so, do I connect to the positive or negative terminal?

You need a scan tool or at least a volt meter to really identify if the pressure sensor is the problem, sometimes a bad ECT sensor goes bad making the ac think it is over heating even though your temperature does not show hot & is not over heating. If you still want to proceed with jumpping the fan & clutch is up to you, I can not guarantee anything because it is not the "proper" technique. And jumping it will allow you to see if the system works, but not to see if the pressure sensor is bad. only a volt meter and scan tool can identify that.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I'd like to hear more about jumping the fan & clutch. I understand it is not the proper technique.

Have I answered all your questions?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
no

What else can I help you with? or would you like another tech to help you?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
34;I'd like to hear more about jumping the fan & clutch. I understand it is not the proper technique."

My pleasure, have you located the ac condenser fan relay and the ac clutch relay?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I'm inside right now and I plan on referencing this later. It's okay if you give me a list rather than walk me through it.

apply positive voltage on pin number 2 on both the ac fan relay and ac clutch relay. should be pink wire and blue wire.

if you are unsure which pin on the relay box needs voltage you can send me a picture of the ac relay location without the relay on it

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I am on my desktop. Is there a way to access this chat over my phone?
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
nevermind. I figured that one out.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
by voltage, I need some wire?

yes if you have a smart phone apply voltage at your own risk and make sure it is the right pin. Do a quick voltage injection/release to see if clutch operates or not.

Yes you need a wire and possibly a pin that attaches to the wire so you can fit the power feed in the pin terminal of the clutch and ac fan relay

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
What do I use to feed the power?

Anything that has power on the vehicle

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
First thing that comes to mind is the battery

That is fine

If you feel you are applying voltage to the wrong pin, then immediately remove

And if the compressor functions, you must keep power to the ac fan as well to prevent high pressure damage. and when you are done using the ac, remove your power feeds or install a toggle switch to deactivate power feeds

Leaving them direct will obviously mean they stay engaging always and will drain battery

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I'm so sorry my medicine is wearing off and I'm really fuzzy and cranky. Are we talking the relay in the fuse box?
http://www.autogenius.info/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/honda-civic-fuse-box-engine-compartment-2006.jpg
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I'm pretty sure it was the top left one

yes 2 relays in the fuse box one for ac fan and other for ac clutch

here is the index, find two relays one for ac fan other for ac clutch

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
from shape that's the mirror image of my fuse box
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Mine looks like this
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/xPFLDY4wppc/maxresdefault.jpg

correct

pull out the clutch relay and ac fan relay and put power to the appropriate pin and the ac will/should work, do you need anything else? Or can I put my rating up?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
like the picture shows, they all have four oddly shaped prongs

yes

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
from memory the A/c fan and A/c clutch are two of the black ones. I'll double check on a fuse map I can understand later.

ok, have I answered all your questions? Can I go ahead and have you rate me?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Is the way to determine the appropriate pin by trial and error?

No, it will be pin number 2 on each relay

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
are the numbers etched into the plug or the prongs on the relays?
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
basically, how will I determine which pin is the number 2 pin?

prongs and relay and sometimes on the empty pin, let me try to find a picture give me a little bit of time.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
okay, thank you

Do not get a terminal description location on my end to determine that. only other option is direct power on ac fan itself and the ac compressor it self

if you had a test light that would be a way to determine this, but you have limited tools.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
what do you mean by direct power?
yeah. When did stuff get so fancy? I thought Hondas were supposed to be a breeze to fix.

its a breeze to fix with the right equipment a scan tool is kind of a must to diagnose newer vehicles.

And i mean direct power feed to the red wire of the fan and the ac compressor

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I'm trying to get the picture of what I think you're talking about to you, but my tech is not cooperating. Thanks for your patience
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
This is the wiring that goes into the pressure switch. Is this red wire the one you're talking about?
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Michael?
Sorry I stepped out
One moment let me get to a computer give me approx 10 min
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
okay.

No, the pressure switch you do not touch, it can be done either by both the relays, or directly on the fan motor for ac, and directly on the compressor wire, look at the wiring diagram I sent to you. the compressor wire will be either blu/red or red/wht. The wire for the a/c fan will be Red or Blue. Only if you can not do it from the relays. These procedures again or not recommended nor guaranteed to work , but you have no equipment and scan tool and your asking for other solutions to get by and make it work for your dog. If you can not attempt by yourself, I would highly recommend to take it to a certified auto repair facility that can also read what the refrigerant level is. At this point, I highly recommend you take the vehicle to a certified repair facility to get it properly fixed with proper equipment. I feel I have answered your question and on top of your question, I also feel I attempted to answer more beyond your question. If you feel satisfied with my answers, please leave me a 5 star rating.

It was my pleasure answering your question. Now that we have either answered, or somewhat answered the question, I will offer my rating. Please let me know if for some reason you are not satisfied with the results I gave you, let me know because I strive for excellence & a 5 star. If you feel 5 star is not worth it, let me know what else I can do or change. Leaving a bad rating or negative rating only hurts me not the site. So please let me know if there is something I can do for you to earn your 5 star rating. Thank you. Sincerely, Michael.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
okay. I think there's some confusion about my goal. It seems like you're frustrated and I am very sorry. I thought I have been clear, but maybe not. I want to bypass the pressure sensor to make sure my condenser is not the problem. I know that it does not perfectly diagnose the problem as the pressure sensor, but I suspect it because I've read that it is a very common breakage on 2008 honda civics.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I'm sorry I ask a lot of questions. It's how I learn.

I apologize, I am not frustrated, I just mis-understood the actual question. I understood it as if removing the pressure sensor would cause refrigerant to release, yes it will release refrigerant, if that was not the question, then I will have to opt out and let another tech assist you. Would you like another tech?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
That was the question, but I am trying to figure out what to do now that I need a shop to help me. I'm trying to minimize the damage this cost is going to have on my budget because I cannot work but I am decently clever. Unfortunately, I live in an area where we have 90 degree days nearly year-round and my service dog could overheat on any of those days. I have to prove to the program that trained him that I can take care of him or they will take him back.

Unfortunately, you would have to open a new question and finish this one if you have a new question.

What is your new question?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
With the most basic tool set available, how could I narrow down the problem? I already purchased the pressure switch since it wasn't too expensive and the instructions were not scary. After I bought it I read the instructions more carefully and realized that I needed to confirm it was safe to disconnect the old one. Now that I know it is not, I think I can still pay a garage to evacuate my coolant system for me, but there's no point in asking if I need to buy a different part. They will probably charge a fee that makes it not worth it unless I have ruled out the bigger problems.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
As in, I can still do most of the labor. There is just a poisonous, high pressure gas in my way.

Do you have a voltmeter?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
no, I do not have a voltmeter

Then unfortunately, I can not help any further if we have nothing to diagnose the issue with. You can put random parts, but I can not help you without the proper equipment.

Are you ready to rate? or would you like to seek another tech?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Goodnight. Thanks Micheal. I'm really cranky after about 8 on most days. Do you mind if I wait to rate you in the morning when I'm fresher?

Absolutely,, Take care! Have a wonderful night.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I appreciated your effort and I do not doubt your expertise. However, I felt like you had a hard time relating to a novice perspective. Most people aren't going to have a lot of tools or experience. If they are able to use the tools that you have in a shop and understand things from a perfectly technical perspective, they probably aren't going to pay to ask questions because they won't need the help. I hope you will work on these in the future.I'm going to give you a 5 star rating because this will be your first rating and you deserve to have a chance to try again.

You are right, I apologize the hard time relating to a novice perspective, but still tried to explain the best way I could to do some sort of by-pass, I could not see any other routes then the ones I have attempted for you. Thank you for the rating.