Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Where is the driver side heated seat fuse located? The light…

Customer Question
Where is the driver...

Where is the driver side heated seat fuse located?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to help find that for your car. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

The light for the heated seat comes on and stays on, but the seat does not heat up.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Car
9/24/2017
Auto Mechanic: john aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 10 months ago
john  aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy

year make and model

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
when I turn the heated seat on, onthe drivers side, the light comes on but the seat does not heat up.
Can you answer my question
I have a 2003 GMC Envoy SLT when I turn the heated seat on the drivers side on the light comes on but the seat does not heat up.

if the switch lights up and the seat does not heat up the grid in the seat has failed the switch lighting up os telling us it has power...

The driver and passenger heated seats have 2 heat zone operating modes with 3 heat level modes and will operate only while the engine is running. The heat zones are determined by which of the 2 heated seat buttons are pressed, while the heat level is determined by the number of times they are pressed. Pressing the seat cushion button 1 time will activate the seat back and cushion heater elements in the high mode. Each time the seat cushion button is pressed the seat back and cushion heat level is reduced from high to medium, low, and off. Pressing the heated seat back button 1 time will activate only the seat back heater element in the high mode. Each time the seat back button is pressed the seat back heat level is reduced from high to medium, low, and off. During heated seat operation the heat zone operating mode may be changed without affecting the current heat level mode.

The heated seat switches are momentary contact switches and are inputs to the driver and passenger door modules. Battery voltage is supplied to the switch assembly from the door module, and when a heated seat switch is pressed and released a brief switch signal voltage is supplied to the door module. Whenever the door module receives an active heated seat switch input, the next heated seat operating mode is determined by whatever the current mode may be. The seat heater elements are controlled by the driver and passenger seat modules using inputs from the door modules through Class 2 serial data circuit messages. The seat modules control the voltage supply and the ground circuits to the seat heater elements. When a heated seat function is commanded active, the seat module will switch battery voltage to the heater element supply circuits, and ground is provided through low side drive control circuits. During heated seat operation both the seat back and cushion heater elements are supplied battery voltage. The seat module grounds the appropriate control circuits for back only or back and cushion heating modes, and opens or closes the active control circuits as necessary in order to maintain the desired seat temperature. The seat modules rely on inputs from thermistors located in the driver and passenger seat backs to control heated seat temperatures. The thermistors are 2 wire sensors supplied with a 5-volt referenced signal circuit and a low reference circuit from the seat module. Resistance through the thermistors varies with temperature causing the heated seat sensor signal circuit voltage levels to decrease as the seat back temperatures rise. The seat modules allow heated seat operation only while the engine is running which is determined by a Class 2 serial data circuit message from the powertrain control module.

that did not answer my question, so is it the fuse and if so where is it located?

no its not the fuse ...if the heated switch light up the fuse is good but its fuse 6 in the under hood fuse block

what is it? bad elements?

exacty they call it a heating grid or element they are common to burn out with age

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue
If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.
A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated
If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue
Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.
you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue
(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)
Thank You
John S

Ok, Im a women trying to figure this out. I may ask you more later.

ok

NOte also that rating this chat session keeps it open for future follow up questions you may have on this. Thanks and let me know what you find.
Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for an example of how to rate . Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.