Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (bought new in 2011 with 65K

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee...

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (bought new in 2011 with 65K miles). Yesterday started having electrical issues. Car went into "safe mode", check engine light came on. lost control of wipers which stayed on, no courtesy lights, or control of instrument panel information menu, loss of vehicle avoidance features, turn signals ..etc. It sounds like issues related to a faulty TIPM. Not sure how safe it is to drive to a dealership.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

The check engine light stays on as well as the indicator that the vehicle avoidance feature is off. John

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I just felt lucky to get home last night. I started it up this morning and the engine seems to run fine but the warning lights are still there. I plan to take it to my local mechanic tomorrow. I have been reading allot of similar complaints on this web site about the 2012 GC.

9/24/2017
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This does sound like a fault related to a faulty TIPM or wiring leading to it.In most cases the TIPM develops an internal electrical fault with it needing replaced.This was a common issue.

I dont recommend driving it this way as driving it can lead to it failing further to where the engine may stall out and it may not restart.I would have it towed if you can for the repair facility to look into this.It can be driven but you would be taking a chance that it may fail completely leaving you stranded.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

I use a local Big O Tire dealer for service. Not a fan of car dealer service dept. I will call my Big O manager tomorrow but was wondering if a TIPM replacement or rebuild would need to be done by a Jeep dealer.

The TIPM usually has to be programmed once it is replaced and has to be done by a dealer or repair facility that has access to programming unfortunately.The charge for this is usually about an hours charge or so.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician