Michael Solis
Michael Solis,
Experience:  Lead Tech at Solis Auto Repair
99786211

My 2002 Thunderbird just cleared 251,000 miles last Friday;

My 2002 Thunderbird just cleared 251,000 miles last Friday; by Wednesday I experienced a
JA: Are you fixing your Thunderbird yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My 2002 Thunderbird just cleared 251, 000 miles last Friday....by Wednesday my car had a problem with the transmission and the car would not reverse. If am not a mechanic but one whom has taken very good care of her car. Question: are transmissions for this car easily obtained or are they only accessible thru the dealership/ manufacturer?
JA: When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: A few days ago.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, the engine knocks. If use Super gasoline but still hear the noise.

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive world for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

Please give me a few moments to review your question.

Are you asking where you can find a transmission for your vehicle? Are you interested in a new or used one?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I want to know if it is cost effective to put 3-5k in a transmission when the car has this much mileage. The body is in great shape because I have been the only driver for 15 years! I was told by my mechanic at the dealership that the T-bird's transmission is not one that you can just buy and put under the hood. My fear is that the new (or rebuilt) transmission will stress the motor and it will be the next to go.

It is a possibility that it will stress the engine because you stated the engine sounds like it is knocking

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
This knocking sound has been going on for the past two years. I am at wit's end because I really like my car - but do not want to be unreasonable about giving it up for another vehicle.

Would you like a cheaper solution?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
No....I thought that you could point out what OPTIONS I have with this car with the information that I prelected to you. I do not feel that I am getting that kind of assistance from you. Are transmissions for a 2002 T-bird easily assessing and what would be the price range for one?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Forgive the misspelled words....I am on my tablet.

ok one moment please

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
What would be your suggested cheaper solution?

The cheaper solution would being getting a used transmission at this website http://www.car-part.com/

You want to keep your car but do not want to keep if it will be more costly?

How is the condition of the engine?

if you look at KBB.com, the value of the car is lower than the cost of transmission replacement.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Correct. The car is a classic and I have enjoyed driving it- but do not want to throw good money away on a vehicle that will possibly need a major overhaul. The engine - other than the cylinder knock - seems to be in good condition.

At this point, without an actual visual inspection of the condition of the engine, it will be difficult to answer that. Being that the vehicle has that many miles, indicates it is closer to its end. If you are prepared to do a overhaul on the engine in the long run, then keeping it would be a good idea if you enjoy your car. If you are not prepared to do an overhaul engine and would not like to do one should that be the case, then maybe selling the vehicle or trading it would be a better choice.

Did you find this helpful? If not, I can opt out and let another tech help you.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
The car is still drivable....I had it on the road today. It just won't go in reverse. I will check out the transmission costs at the online site that you suggested. Is it true that these cars require specialty transmissions?

what is the engine size?

When you say specialty transmission, could you please explain what you mean by that.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I am not sure. Did the 2002 T-birds have the same size engine? I thought you would know.

let me check

Can I get vin number please

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
The mechanic at the dealership said that the transmission would have to be ordered from anow overseas manufracturer. VIN # 1FAHP60A52Y115231

2002 Ford Thunderbird 3.9L, V8, VIN A, 32V, USA/Canada

That is the full information for your vehicle. There should be places in the usa that rebuilds them as well as have used ones.

there are two different transmission types

AT, ID 1W4P-AA
AT, ID 2W4P-AA

you have to call the dealer and ask what your id is on the transmission, should match one of these two numbers

and based on that website, there are used ones available in the USA, trusting they work would be your own judgement of the place you are buying it from, would be a good idea to research their business on google and see their reviews

Did I answer your questions? Or would you like another tech? If I answered your questions and you are satisfied, Can I send my rating to receive 5 stars?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
OK. I will do that and decide if "she" is worth keeping.Last question: With some of what you now know abou the condition of the car, what would a fair trade estimate (I won't hold you to it)look like if I traded it?

depends on where your located. Here in texas, value with that many mileage with the transmission not getting reverse, would be around $500.00

It was my pleasure answering your question. Now that we have either answered, or somewhat answered the question, I will offer my rating. Please let me know if for some reason you are not satisfied with the results I gave you, let me know because I strive for excellence & a 5 star. If you feel 5 star is not worth it, let me know what else I can do or change. Leaving a bad rating or negative rating only hurts me not the site. So please let me know if there is something I can do for you to earn your 5 star rating. Thank you. Sincerely, Michael.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
OK. Thanks. Send in your 5 star rating. What will this information cost Me? I saw 2 amounts on the billing screen.

The cost I am not too sure, you would have to contact customer service to answer that entirely, I would assume the question value I cant see your end of it only mine.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
OK. Send the rating info or tell Mr hoe to access it. Thanks!

rating has been sent, you should see the rating and rate me, thank you.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Excuse me.....this tablet, oh boy! Tell me how to access it.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thanks!

Thank you!