Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My car had an accident on the rear left door and the curtain…

Customer Question
My car had an accident...
My car had an accident on the rear left door and the curtain and seat airbags went off. I replaced those, seatbelt, the SRS unit and occupant crash sensors, based on the dealerships diagnostics. The airbag light is still on. The dealership is shooting in the dark, so they told me to replace the weight sensors below the occupant seat. I am not really convinced. What should I do?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Car
9/24/2017
Auto Mechanic: Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr. replied 8 months ago
Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer Please allow me to assist you. As long as the air bag light is on, there should be codes in the system control unit (the 'center air bag sensor' as it is commonly known). Extraction of the codes are paramount to isolation of the cause. If you replaced the occupant classification sensor, it ALSO needs to be calibrated. Replacement of the sensor is only half of the repair. Perhaps that is all you need to complete thsi repair; the calibration of the occupant sensor.

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.

Hi, first, I replaced the SRS unit with a used one that came from another car (vin number). The dealer told me he was following a flowchart and he didn't see any problems with the srs unit. yes, my light is flashing. how do I calibrate the sensor?

You should not have replace the unit with a used one. If the G sensor in that unit has been tripped, it is not any good. You should never use used air bag parts because you cannot rely on their expected level of performance (ie the airbags may not go off in the event of a collision). The calibration of the occupant classification sensor requires a compatible scan tool and software that can re calibrate the system. Without the scan tool and the software, the recalibration cannot be done. You need a dealer or someone who has the correct equipment and software to do this. Recalibration cannot be done any other way.

Do you think removing the crash data from my original sensor (through specialized services) would give me a good SRS unit?
as I told you before the dealership is simply telling me to keep replacing sensors until things work out, and I am not really convinced.
I have a Nissan Versa Note 2015. I can test the sensors resistance with an Ohm meter. Will that help?

No. Absolutely not. Anytime an air bag deployment occurs, the units need to be replaced with new units. I would never install a used unit in a customer's vehicle, nor would I do it in mine. Air bags are critical to maximum occupant protection in collisions. I would not want them to NOT go off in a collision. Anytime the light is on at the dash, this means the system will NOT deploy the bags in a crash. The dealership (using a 'flow chart') is not performing an accurate diagnosis. Sadly, an ohm-meter is useless to any aspect of air bag sensor diagnosis

If there are no air bag codes in the system, and the air bag light is on, the air bag main control unit is faulty.

The airbag light is flashing, so that is probably the code, but the dealer could not scan any code

I would replace the main sensor with a new unit.

And then have the occupant classification sensor recalibrated.

You're talking about the SRS unit, right?

yes

OK, thanks. Will keep you posted

You are very welcome. Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you. I trust my input is satisfactory and meets your expectations. A positive rating for my assistance on your request would be greatly appreciated; thanks again and have a great day

Hold on, on a second thought, when I buy a new SRS unit it will need to calibrated with the vin number, and my dealership is not seeing a problem with the existing one anyway. So I am all confused

If the dealership cannot extract fault codes from the existing control unit, it is defective. If the dealership scan tool is defective, find another dealership before doing anything. That might be your best bet at the moment. The dealership is required to recalibrate the occupant classification sensor under the passenger front seat. I am not certain that the air bag control unit needs to be VIN calibrated. I have never heard of VIN calibration on air bag units.

I have not replaced the occupant classification sensors under the passenger seat, the accident happened on the other side of the vehicle. However, I did replace the crash sensors on the passenger side

You need to replace ALL of the crash sensors. You need to replace the occupant classification sensor. You need to have the occupant classifications sensor recalibrated. You cannot cheat the air bag replacement parts required. If the steering wheel airbag went off, you need to replace the clock spring.

The occupant means passenger or where the accident happened?

The occupant sensor (under the passenger side seat needs replaced and recalibrated. The crash sensors (both, on the front of the car) needs replaced. Any deployed air bag needs replaced. The center control unit needs replaced.

If this vehicle has the seatbelt pretensioners and force limiters feature, the front seatbelts need replaced too. (some do, some do not have this feature)