Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Sorry tablet die I have a 2008 Suzuki sx4 just put a new…

Sorry tablet die I...

Sorry tablet die I have a 2008 Suzuki sx4 just put a new alternator on it now the car runs but keep cutting off only runs if I keep my foot on the gas what wrong wit it

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No it is the same

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SX4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes myself all it need was the alternator

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No it was running find before I put that alternator on

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Did you disconnect the battery when you replaced the alternator?

Let me know,thanks Pete

I did
you can call if need to

O.k., the first thing that needs done is to clean the throttle body bore.Disconnect the throttle body intake hose from the air filter and use a shop rag sprayed with carburetor or brake cleaner on the rag and wipe out the throttle body bore opening the throttle plate by hand slightly to clean it as well.Then once this is done perform this procedure below.If this does not work let me know.

1. a. Disconnect negative cable at battery for 20 seconds or more for the purpose of clearing calibration data of closed throttle position from memory in ECM.
b. Connect negative cable to battery.

2. Keep ignition switch at ON position for 5 seconds or more without running engine.

3. Turn off key and back on again repeating twice more leaving on for 5 seconds each time

4. Start the engine.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Ok will contact back once done

O.k.,sounds good.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician
I try it for the first time and they are good thanks pete

Your welcome