Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

How much is the advice from this site? 01 bmw x5 3.0. This

how much is the advice...
how much is the advice from this site?
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 01 bmw x5 3.0
JA: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: This is a new engine rebuild. I have been working on it for a few months. I have it in the car and I am getting -28 rich stft on bank 1 and lean 20 stft on bank 2. New ccv system new O2's. smoke tested and cant find any leaks. I have checked the disa valve. Pulled injectors and cleaned.
JA: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?
Customer: Every hose is new. Almost everything on the motor is new. I have not drove it more than 2 miles yet. cant figure out my fuel trims
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
9/24/2017
Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.

Have you run a compression test yet on all 6 cylinders?

Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
180+ on all cyls. The engine runs ok in open loop until it goes into closed loop. The stft goes above -28 on bank 1 and it goes into ol fault. It never shows any long term.
Phone call session started

Check the cats and let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
J have replaced the cats and J still have the negative fuel trims on the first bank. I have no tps signal on my scanner for this vehicle. I would think even with and electronic throttle body I should have a tps signal.Complete new fuel pump and filter w/regulator. I have pulled and cleaned the injectors and checked for spray patterns. pulling my hair out and cant figuere this out.

Did you have the cats tested before you replaced them? Do you show a throttle angle reading?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I checked them with my boroscope and they were to clogged up for me to take the chance on hurting the motor so I changed them anyway. I could not even see through them with light and had a lot of buildup on them. I was hoping you could tell me if the ecm should be showing a tps signal.The pid is there and shows 0.0 so I assumed it should be. I ohmed out the injectors to make sure there was not a short as well.

Yes you should be seeing a tps signal. Does it run any better now that you have replaced the cats?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well I have not driven it but I am defiantly getting more exhaust from the pipes and feels like more response and less restriction at idol. Although it did not fix the fuel trims it needed done.
I have replaced the Idle air control valve and the Disa valve as well. Its so strange, without the MAF it is lean and with t he MAF it is rich. I have the old MAF and a new MAF and I get the same results. with the MAF bank to stays +-5 and without it goes 10-12 rich.

Is your scanner showing the 10-12 as a -10, -12. or a +10+12?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
oops bank 2 stays+-5 with the MAF plugged in and without MAF Bank 2 goes+10 to +12. Bank one is the one that switched way rich to way lean with or without the MAF. it goes from -28 to +28

Lets clear some thing up. If your trim is showing +12, then the bank is running to lean and the pcm i adding adding 12 % more fuel to try to get it to richen up, -12 is to rich and the pcm is pulling 12% out to lean the system back down. Can you send me a screen shot of your scan tool with the engine running mass air plugged up so I can see the fuel trims please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also switched the upstream o2 sensors to make sure it was operating properly

I would call you, but it is storming here, and have no signal to call. If it clears up soon I can call you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will try to get some screen shots in a bit. The 10 percent I am not concerned about because with the MAF it is withing operating range on bank 2. Bank 1 that is +to- 28 is my issue.

Where did you get this engine and have you done a compression test on it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we answered these questions originally. 180+ on all cyl. This is an engine I just spent 3 months building. Almost everything is brand new. PCV system AIC, all O2's now Cats.

There has to be unregulated air getting into the system. Double check the injector seals as well as the intake gaskets and see if there is a leak in any of them. Carb cleaner works well, with the engine running to find any leaks. Watch you fuel trims and spray small bursts gumout carb leaner around the intake and injectors seals and see if the trim levers change.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have done this 3 times and it has been smoke tested as well and no smoke came out unless we took the oil cap off.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I even replaced the intake boot and all vac lines when I installed the motor

I hate to say it but that only leaves the computer. Do you have an auto electric shop near you that can reprogram your computer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. I would have to send it off.
I have ordered a new throttle body to rule that out. I have read some pretty strange things happening when the throttle body/tps is not reporting properly. At this point I have run just about every test I can find. I really beleive it is something electronic because of the 56 percent total change on bank 1 with just the MAF. From what I have read, if the TPS is not working the computer tries to calculate with the MAF but It still does not make since why the change is so high.

If you are replacing the throttle body, then yu should also replace the gas pedal assembly. The tps is mounted to the gas pedal on this car.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
correct

Have you checked the plug for the throttle pedal to see if there is any corrosion in the plug?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I have not looked at the pedal yet. I will try to get in there this week if I have time. Today is the first time I have had time to work on it since we last spoke.

Let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I went out and pulled the coils and plugs and cyl 1 and 2 are black like they are running rich but the other 4 are ok. So it is not the whole bank, just the 2 cyl's. I went ahead and ran a compression test on all of them again and they are 195 to 197 on all cyl's. Oh boy now Im leaning to the Injectors but I did a leakdown test on the injectors and had no leakage. I made a can of brake cleaner fit for the intake side and made a push button pulse with a battery to clean them out and they seamed to work fine. I guess when I have time I will pull the injectors and put those 2 in the back and see what happens. I have some injectors from a 328I that fit but are a touch smaller. Can you check and see if I could put those in , if they will work for testing purposes. Just want to make sure they wont hurt anything.

What year was the 328i?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
02

The injectors are different but should work for testing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Same motor but I think the injectors are a touch smaller because the x5 has a touch more power for the AWD and such. They made a few tweaks on the heads.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK I will try them and see what happens.

ok

Kalamykid
Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.